• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hawk ID help please!

philly35

I was fishing down a river in NW Iowa yesterday and seen a couple birds that I can't seem to identify. They were the size of a Bald Eagle and they were black with bright yellow edged wings. They looked like broad shaped wings and they were gliding above the tree tops. Any ideas? I've been looking online and I am stumped.

A quick way to tell a vulture from a hawk or eagle is, a hawk or eagle usually soar with their wings striaght across and a vulture will have their wings in tipped upin a V. Remember "V" for vulture.

And I have not seen any with yellow wings either

It's the way light shines on and through the wings that make them look with a hint of yellow on the under side, and at times the tips can all most look bright yellow.

There are a lot more turkey vultures in NW Iowa these days than there were years ago when I grew up there. For as good a viewing of these birds as one can find in that area, go into Rock Rapids some evening in mid-July or after the nestlings fledge and check out the old water tower on Hwy 75 going south out of town. It is possible to count 2 to 3 dozen birds there at a time in the evening as they set up their night roost. No question those were turkey vultures. There is a decent picture at Wikipedia showing the lighter area on the underside of the wing.