• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

24 volt Powerdrive prop spinning backwards

Bassinbob84

So I bought a ranger last fall at ice up. I Pushed the foot pedal to make sure it worked and it did. Took the boat out this spring and the prop spinns backwards. Left and right both work as normal though. I'm not sure if it's hooked up to the batteries backwards but I have 4 wires coming out of the boat a red + and black - going to the first batt and an orange+ and a white- going to the second battery. My onbord charger also has 4 wires coming out of it. A red+ and a yellow- to each battery.

Thanks for the help in advance

Do you know if the motor has ever been taken apart (brushes changed, shaft replaced, etc)?

A few things it could be if the battery connections are correct.

- not hooked up right in the plug

- reverse polarity somewhere in the motor/housing

- motor magnet re-installed backwards

Start at the battery checking the easy things first and slowly work your way into the motor. Also make sure all fuses/breakers are good/not tripped.

Red+ and Black- for 12volt Orange+ and White- 24volt. Sounds like they're all hooked up right at the batteries. (including the charger) I'd check the connection at the plug (on the motor side) to make sure they hooked up +- right in the plug. I don't know if reverse polarity would mess up the right left turning or not but it would mess up what derection the prop turns.

I pulled the plug apart and switched the wires, the motor wouldn't do anything then. I'm going to try and see if the wires on the circuit board could be backwards tomorrow. I'm not sure if the motor has ever been taken apart or not so I'm just guessing things right now.

I didn't have time to check tonight. I had a side job and another tomorrow night. My boat is actually sitting inside a locked gate at work cuz I couldn't use it tonight. I'm hoping to look at it a little more Thursday night. The electrician at my work figured maybe there was an anti polarity thing in it. I'm just trying to avoid the shop but will probably end up taking it there in the end,