• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mercury thunderbolt 110 9.8hp

imgoing2sleep

My brother just bought his first boat and we're trying to figure out if there is a latch or something to hold the motor in place while going in forward or reverse. Does anyone know how to lock the tilt/trim? I am not sure what year this motor is. Only that it could be mid 90s. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Its highly unlikely its a mid 90's. 110/9.9 were made from the early 60's to about 1985. If you can provide the serial number, I can gladly provide the year.

Yes there is a reverse lock on that engine. It will only lock when you put in reverse. In the picture below it is item number 8. There are a few other parts involved but for some reason those pictures wernt loading for me this am????

merc110.png

If you play around with the motor, you should be able to figure it out. Put it in forward, and the two hooks on part # 8 above should move up and allow the motor to release. Put it in reverse, and the two hooks drop down and lock over a horizontal shaft that keeps the motor from raising. It doesn't need to be running to do this.

It's been a solid motor for my dad (I ran it a lot growing up). Can be a bear to start when cold, but it runs well after that.

Can be a bear to start when cold, but it runs well after that.

Theres an easy fix for that. There is an adjustment on the choke, so to speak. Pull the choke out all the way and look to see if the choke plate is actually closing all the way. If not, loosen the block the cable goes through on top of the carb and rotate to remove the slack. Properly adjust the carb and they are usually very good starters!