• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

40 Horse Johnson

T-290

Question

I just bought a new /used Lund with a 40 Johnson 1993. It has what appears to be an early oil injection system( no more pre-mixing) I asked the seller at the time about any low oil warning lamp or a auto shut off.There is none! Now we all can be a little forgetfull at times but this could be an expensive mistake! Are there any retro units that could be installed to prevent this from happening? T-290

5 answers to this question

I once owned an '88 Johnson 40hp and that was a pre-mix model. It turns out that I once had an incident where a buddy and I forgot to add oil to the gas on our spare tank and when we hooked up the spare tank and went full bore across the lake, the motor recognized the problem, and automatically shut off! They have sensors in the motor that detects oil and prevents a blow out. I never had any warning signals or anything...just a plain jane motor.
I am sure yours has these sensors.

Buddy of mine has a 40hp Johnson not for sure the year either a 90 or 93. It is oil injected, oil pump quit working motor didnt detect problem. Now he needs new head and pistons. I would be careful with the oil injected motor. Buddy was told if he fixes motor he should just mix oil in the gas. This way you know for sure its getting oil.
Just my two cents worth......

IFallsRon--put a new topic to MINNSPORTSMAN he lives on one of those lake's and can help you out. we fished them four times or more, lots of suken islands and strutcher