• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

85 or 86 Evinrude 28SLP

Sniper07

Has ran great since I bought it last year. A week ago I was on the lake and she just quit no warning. About 20 minutes later I was able to get her started and headed straight to my dock. Then last Saturday she starts right up, and I let it run a couple minutes and head out. Got about 300 yards from shore she quits. I had to paddle back in to my dock. Since then I have replaced the plugs new tank with new gas. Last time I put gas in I was out of marine oil and so I used 2 stroke oil I have for my ice auger, could this have done something to it? BTW it started right up yesterday, ran great for a couple minutes and died and now wont start. Shes getting plenty of gas, I need to fish, so can someone help me out??

have you tried a new hose and bulb. That is often the problem. It will let enough gas in to start and run and then runs out. It sure sounds like a gas problem. The oil you used wouldn't cause your problem and should not have an ill effect on your motor. Try a differnt hose and bulb and see what happens.

I had a 96 25hp, pretty much same motor I think. I rebuilt my carb, and also rebuilt the fuel pump (hard to even call it a "pump" really, haha!) And it ran great ever since. Both are easy to do with normal hand tools when you get the "kits".

Hardest thing is removing the starter to get at the carb.

My fuel pump diaphragm had a tear in it, and I bet that might be what you are experiencing. But I am not mechanic, so can't say for sure.

If you can keep it running by pumping the bulb, that doesn't automatically mean it is leak in hose/bulb, but that was my first attempt at repair. It took the fuel pump replacing for that.

For what it worth, I rebuilt the fuel pump myself right on the dock where the pontoon was floating, and it was fairly easy. Just need good eyes and steady hands, and a clean place to put parts as you are putting back together. Good luck.