• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What would you do. "Shimano Citica?"

gunning

I just picked a used Citica 200E that was supposed to be in "like new condition" off a big on line auction site for 80$. Well I opened the box this morning and noticed that who ever owned it before wrote the number 15 on the reel handle, no big deal I thought. I opened the side plate to set the breaks and noticed it only had 5 not 6 of the breaks, one of them was broken off, this thing was described as "like new" and there was no description of the writing on the side or the broken break.

So I write the guy back and described my problem and he offered to let me return the reel. The thing is I want to use it this weekend down at the river and I can live with the writing on the side, and 80$ for a Citica is still a good deal IMO. But will the missing break affect the reel? I went out and casted it and it seems fine and I know some people actually remove the breaks, but how, do they just remove the caps, do they remove the whole breaking system, or just break off some of the pegs like what happened on my reel.

Gunning.. I feel your pain, you were mislead..

Did they just remove the nylon sleeve or is the whole peg gone?. . if your just missing a cast control sleeve, I will send you one...

For me, I can never think of any time I have had all 6 turned on.. I think you will be fine.. but it does worry me if the peg was broken off?

Is there any way you can take a pict of the side plate open?

Aagin, if its just a missing sleeve, I got one and will send it your way, no cost to you.

Thanks Deitz, its not the little white or pink cap. Its the whole peg or spoke, its broken off clean from the base. When you take the side plate off the breaking system looks like a star. I should have a 6 point star but I only have 5 pegs.

I have the box and papers it came with like I said it seems like it casts ok with out it. Could I just order a new break system?

If it were only missing the sleeve I wouldn't worry a bit about it, but since it is missing the entire peg, I would be concerned that it makes the spool out of balance and vibrate on a hard cast thus damaging the bearings. The only thing I believe you can replace is the entire spool, I don't think the brake system is removable. I would fish with it this weekend and return it on Monday. wink

I was just out side casting trying to find something wrong with it. For the most part it cast pretty good. Caman you bring up a good point, over the long haul maybe it could be doing some damage to the bearings. I could always break off the opposite peg on the wheel to balance it out LOL.

Call up shimano America and see if they have any laying in there parts bin, if your real nice to the guy he might send you one for free grin It worked for me on the same thing for an old green curado, I fished with that thing for 5 years with 3 broken off (imo the weak link in shimanos) and it did no damage or made any noise, then I finally called and got the part