• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Verticle rod storage options.....what do you do?

311Hemi

Trying to decide on the best option for storing rods while out on the water. It would be nice to get them up and out of the way while fishing or traveling. I have seen the cabelas rod rack system that fits into a seat post and that may be a good option, but I could see needing to move it around depending on the type of fishing were doing.

One options I was looking at was building a box with sleeved holes through the top that would sit in the water well area (right in front of the motor) on my hsolist Sportfish and could hold 6-8 rods. It would basically just rest there and would be supported so it would not move. The rods would basically sit in there vertically an would be out of the way for the most part. I don't think the motor would be in the way at all when tilted either.

Any other thoughts......what do you do? Any pics of your setup?

Hemi, I have a Sportfish also and found the rod storage to be lacking. What I did was make three verticule rod holders that hold two rods each. I used a short pieces of 2x4 and drilled two holes in each one using a hole saw and glued in pcv pipe cut to 15" or so into each hole. I painted them the same color as the interior of the boat. I have two rod holders in the back of the boat, one on each side and one in the front left side. I just screwed them to the deck. That way everyone has access to their rods with in arm reach. If you want photo's, my email is [email protected], I will go out and take acouple pic's and send them to ya.

Dan

Here are Dusty's Pics... nice work!

The bases are about 12"long. The tubes are pcv pipes 12" long. I used a 1 7/8 " hole saw to cut the holes in the base. The pcv is 2". It is a snug fit you may have to pound the tubes into the holes with a hammer. I also cut a slot in the top of the tube for the shaft of the reel to slip into to keep the rod from spinning while running down the lake.

rodholder.jpg

rodholder2.jpg

rodholder3.jpg

rodholder4.jpg

marine_man