• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Laptop Won't Boot

Power up the laptop and get a windows failed to start error. It asks to start windows normally or launch startup repair. No matter which you choose, get the same result... a blank screen with Microsoft Corporation Banner at the bottom.

Laptop is running VISTA...any ideas?

To me it sounds like a startup file could be corrupted. (Any other PC experts can chime in here anytime). I would try to reboot into Safe Mode and then try restoring the computer to a past restore point.

To Boot into Safe Mode:

When you turn on the computer, as soon as you see anything on the screen, hold down the F8 key (sometimes it's F7, so you might have to try it a couple times). This should bring you to a black screen with white type that gives you startup choices. Arrow down to Safe Mode and hit enter.

From there I'm a little fuzzy on the details as I work primarily on Win XP, but there should be something called System Restore located somewhere in the Control Panel. Good luck, hope you get it figured out.

I would not go the re-install route just yet. Boot into safe mode (keep tapping F8) and try the option to load windows with last good known condition. I like this option to load the last working version of Windows. It's a good first step, and painless.

I had the problem how I solved it was to put my OS disk in and chose the boot fron disk option. Started right up and then ran scan disk and repair have not had the problem again. Dont know if it will work for you but that is how I fixed mine. I run Vista. Good Luck!!

If you can get it started in safe mode, or as Pherris suggested, started with a boot disk, scandisk or checkdisk may fix something like that.

I'm not up on Vista yet, but I've also corrected some startup problems on XP or Win2k by using FIXMBR.

Didn't happen to shut down with a hard power off instead of through the OS by chance?

Not sure if you got this laptop up and running or not. I would surely try to get in in safemode at least from there you can run a system recovery and hopefully not lose any data. If it comes down to it and a reload is necessary, depending on the laptop brand you may have a small partition that has OS recovery setup, you would get to this through the same boot menu as safemode.

For laptop users it is always a good idea to have an adapter around that allows you to pull the HD out and run it as a slave in a desktop for instances like (dirt cheap at New Egg). I personally have an empty USB HD case and the adapter, but I'm I do this stuff for a living and family and friends on the side. Nothing worse then the feeling of data lose, the 1000's of MP3's, photos, docs you name it it all sucks to lose.

Good luck

Yep, had the same thing happen to my older lap top with Vista on it. I thought you hit F2 right when the first screen comes on and go into a basic help menu (maybe called safe mode) and use the arrow keys and find a system's check option. I ran this (took about 2-3 hours) and right after, the computer worked great and is still working great for my kids.

Nope, the F2 button gets you into the BIOS, you really don't wanna go int here unless you know what you are doing.

Just because you got the error you did doesn't mean your HDD is bad. I would still try to boot to your windows disk and see if you can repair it. If not, tell it to format and reinstall and see how you end up.

Well when this happened to me, that was all I had other than buying a new one or digging into it with help grin I figured what could I do anymore to the laptop than is already done wink

It worked out in the end. This was one of the first versions of Home Vista (bought in Jan of 07). It think the prompt I clicked on was diagnoses and repair. Like I said it took about 2 hours to run this feature and all was working great after it was done.

I do agree Sand, there is a ton of other menu options in this area and if the wrong things are changed or adjusted, it could spell big trouble. grin

I agree Shack, can't mess it up much worse, but watch what you change.

Fishingguy40, before you stick too much into it, let me know if you would like me to take a look at it. I'm in St. Paul so not too far from you.

Yep, when I posted this I was right on the F2, but that was on a laptop running Vista Home Basic 32. Hard drive diagnostics is located in bios. Vista Home Premium 64bit, the memory scan on a Toshiba L305-S5908 running VHP 64 can be found when holding "0" when starting the laptop (Windows Boot Manager Menu). On other computers the built in diag. scan can be found by holding "R" during start up.

Here is what I found on the start up menus for Vista. Hold them down when you power up your PC in Windows Vista HP 64bit:

Holding F2 will get you into bios/system utilities where you can switch you you have some basic system operating options. For this issue, you can arrow over to boot and switch up your CD/DVD drive to activate on start up to run the Recovery Disk (Drops the HDD down to second). this can help when trying to get a recovery disk to boot that is not doing it via the comp manufacture's advise.

Holding F1,F3,F4,F5,F6,F7,F9, or "0" Windows Boot Manager where you can choose either Ramdisk Device Options or Windows Memory Diagnostic.

Holding F12 Gets you in The Boot Manager Menu. Not much here besides being able to see what devices you have on your PC and which order they start up in. Their is a option to get you into bios/system utilities at the bottom.

Holding F8This brings you to Advanced Boot Options. You can get to systems recovery options menu. go in to Vista via the safe mode options, boot logging, last know good configuration, debugging, automatic restart on or off, driver signature enforcement.

Holding F10 Not much on this start up menu, but not much known. This is the Edit Boot Options menu. I think some great things can be done here, but have not tried or found much on what to to. It is a editing menu for windows boot up options. It will display on the command line "[ /noexecute=optin" I can curser back and change this, so before I go any further I have to check into this further.

"Holding the R" brings you into windows recovery options. If your PC did not come with a systems recovery to factory setting disk, this is where you go. I am not sure if your PC came with the disk, if your PC has this options or not.

"Holding the C" This is what Toshiba says to do after your have been able to get the Recovery CD in the CD/DVD drive to automatically start the program.

If I find anything more I will post further.

As you can tell my Toshiba has the Blue Screen Of Death and more of an issue of the Black Screen Of Death grinfrowncry

My issue is I can get in these menus, but anything needed to fix anything that requires Windows to start fails after/locks up after the scrolling Microsoft Corp. screen. Screen goes black for about 30 seconds and then the mouse arrow shows up (Black Screen Of Death). If I go into debugging mode, I can get the Blue Screen of Death with a

Any know feasible way, my Systems Recovery disk will not boot. frown I have heard just keep trying it can get it to go threw and if so, then a systems repair can be done and has got people back to their desk top, so the fixing can begin.

I have pulled the hard drive, pulled the memory, performed the hard restart (taking battery out, unplugging cord and holding down power button for 10 seconds).

The laptop is still under warranty so I think my only option (unless something makes into windows), is to pull the hard drive and run it as a slave on my other lap top. Then send it to Toshiba for a half year frown

I believe a power surge while burning and down loading songs from Itunes is what released the sleeping Virus that cause this. Maybe Toshiba will find out?

it does not sound like a computer issue as much as a software problem. my wifes toshiba did the same thing. i contacted microsoft, they ran diagnostics on it, took a day to complete and then told me how to fix the issue. might be worth a call to to both companies to see if they can fix over the phone. good luck

OK...is your system recovery disk a CD? If so you may need to go into the bios and tell PC to allow boot from a CD. If it is a localdisk it is more than likely corrupt and you will need the Windows CD to reload.

Sorry Upnorth, I have both. The recovery CD that came with the PC and a built in recovery program on a localdisk (an option). both options lead to the Black screen of Death. Oh grin that was the first thing I did when holding C or just putting it in did not work. I brought the CD/DVD drive to the top and is says booting error in DOS type mode for a split second and then starts loading windows (scrolling bar), then black screen for hours. As far as I know it is supposed to go into a screen with the vista sign in screen background, but with recovery options with in a minute or two. It just stays black with the arrow (that does move with mouse). Maybe it takes hours in a situation like this. Maybe I will just boot is up with the CD and let it go to the black screen over night?? The CD is clean and scratch free. I am not too clear (between when the paper work says with the CD, the Toshiba Rep. and on-line forums) as to what the Recovery CD will do once it does load. The paper work and rep make it sound like no menu and a complete reset back to factory specs, but on-line forums make it sound as though the recovery CD goes to a menu with repairing options??? I do know all my videos, images, files, programs from the last 9 months will be gone if the Recovery starts. I might just pull the HDD and slave it for the sake of keeping as much as I can. Side note: Swapping HDD's to recover and repair with a good running laptop is another option, but the laptop PC you put the not working HDD in has to be the same OS, or nothing will boot up.

Jeff thanks for the tip. Microsoft will have me on the phone ASAP! wink Toshiba (although helpful) pretty much ended up to sending it in.

I do not think this is a hardware issue, although I have not ruled out an issue with the CD/DVD drive (under warranty and just not too crazy about splitting to disconnect), USB port issue or something else.

I firmly think this is just a booting/driver/software issue. Just have to figure it out and will grin

Positive side smirkgrin this issue with my Toshiba has pretty much made me get back on my (About 2 years old) Compaq Presario C500, 502mb, 1.86GHz with Vista home Basic 32bit the last 3 days. This went to the kids and pretty much a family PC. What a mess! First two days where spent cleaning this computer enough to even get it to move. I have "DO NOT DOWN LOAD" right next to the keys. Well no one seemed to listen and boy what a mess. I have cleared the 500plus temp files crazy , gained back my hacked Administration capabilities mad (must have done that in the last month) , CCleaner, updated the virus, spyware, malware, firwall and a ton of other stuff as far as parental controls and administrative. deleted I would have to say about 70-90 programs not needed. I think I am at a point where I will just back up the images and files I want and Recover back to factory grin 500% faster though than 3 days ago wink

There normally will be something telling you to press a key (can't remember which one) to boot from the CD. And it comes and goes pretty dang quick. You could try to check Toshiba's site to see if they have it.

Another thing to try is to put the CD in another working PC or laptop restart to see if it is actually a good bootable CD. Make sure you have something good to work with before you drive yourself nutz.

If it is a bootable CD and it won't boot, you have a hardware issue. Drivers don't come into play til you get into actually loading the OS(windows).

Quote:
Another thing to try is to put the CD in another working PC or laptop restart to see if it is actually a good bootable CD.

Thanks UN, good thinking grin

Since vista is consider an OEM (being installed at time of laptop purchase) via Microsoft, I put another couple hours into Toshiba on the phone. They are sending a box to ship it back to them.

Just checked the Recovery CD and it comes up in my Vista 32 Compaq, but the files do not show anything. I assume it is good though.

I was referring to rebooting the other computer with the CD in to see if the CD is bootable, it is not clear if you tried that. Not all CDs are created bootable. Install CDs and Recovery CDs are created with specific files that make them bootable and allow a PC start start from them.

But at this point if they are taking it back to correct it, let em. I work in IT and there comes a point where it just ain't worth trying to fix some of this stuff, if you don't have the proper test tools. And hardware becomes an issue, especially with laptops where plugging and unplugging devices to see which is the offending part becomes a problem.

Yep UN I read ya loud and clear. Good tip wink Some times something that you sit and wonder about (if maybe it does not work. In this case the Recovery CD) things and then find out the answer/solution was simple and right in your face grin Could have ruled that out a couple days ago grin

The CD booted in the other laptop (one that is working right now). What I meant last night is some of the files on the Recovery CD when booted (labeled/named bios, recovery, and a bunch of other stuff) displayed they held nothing in them. I did not start opening them, but the CD did boot and about 7-8 files showed up as on the CD.

Yep, I just gave up and Toshiba did as well. I am not sure how high you can go but even the level 2 technician gave it a shot over the phone.

Now I have to find an enclosure and try and get my info/files off the Toshiba HDD with my Compaq. I was going to try swapping HDD's again and did some research last night, but I figure going the route of the enclosure is better.

Swapping the hardrives wouldn't work well, all sorts of driver issues and even the motherboard would give you fits. There is an enclosure on line for $25 bucks or if there is something like best buy or other computer store near by they may pull your files off for a small fee.

Yep, got back all my files via a $15.oo USB 2.5'' Hard Drive Enclosure for SATA Drives and some free on-line NTFS file recovery software (Backupdata wink ). Pretty neat when the scan is done and you are able to open, view and transfer/save files I figured I would never see again grin

From what I have learned about Hitachi Travelstar HDD, makes me want to dig further into the issue, but I figure this time I will let the repair depot fix it. If not for the factory warranty, I would have been freezing, heating, taking apart the hard drive grin I know I could get an on-line diagnostic program for my host computer and realistically fix the issue with the drive. I have an idea what is wrong grin A little hint: My personal photo folder is sitting around 50gb and I will not even say what a couple of my .aiv and HD video folders add up to eek Th HDD makes no noises or sounds of any kind at all. Power up and runs extremely smooth. Must be a driver issue grin ? Maybe we will peek into it again tonight grin Maybe some trimming of fat and some file damage repair could start me up.

Interesting facts I have found:

1) You can recovery NTFS files, view and even save/transfer them from a HDD with Vista Home Premium 64bit (even a locked up/crashed one) to an HDD with Vista Home basic 32bit with out any software upgrades or changes. Something (even talking with local repair guys and IT guys) is not done (extremely rare) often. Most cases it is the other way around. I would say most Programs are a no go though wink . Good to know for people who have an older laptop and the newer one crashed. If I had XP I think this would not work at all. Maybe I could transfer files to an external storage device?

2) Backing up your files is a must. Save a ton of question, some worry and then a week of figuring how to recover, just to find recover lost files is very easy as long as you another operating PC with equivalent OS.

3) Computer maintenance should be done on a monthly, if not a weekly basis. Very simple to do, verses the out come of a crash. Youtube can help with this by doing a search of your OS and Maintenance. Plus it speeds things. Vista IMO is a the greatest OS, but needs a lot of love if you use your PC for many things verses XP or older.

There are a couple more but I figure that is enough grin

Worlds away from the good old days when 5160, Model 30, XT-286, and PC-dos 1.0 threw 5.0 where the terms being used grin Back then it took months to figure stuff out and I swear it never worked just right. The old IMB's where cool though. From the day you got the PC, the covers came off and never where fully secured on till the day you junked them grin

P.S.

By going into bios on the host HDD 32bit pc, then boot options, brought the external HDD to the top, shut off, removed host's HDD, restarted holding F8, I was in the slave's Windows Advanced Options Menu. Shocked, I tried some things grin Would not boot in-safe mode (no da). Could not get into the recovery partition (ok), but almost got it to boot into "configure to last good start up"! grin It loaded, booted and even auto shut down with no errors crazy When I put the slave HDD back in its pc, nothing changed frown . Put the host HDD back in its pc and (fingers crossed) everything start and ran fine. Pull slave HDD out of its pc, put it in the enclosure, ran scan and all the files where untouched. Funny crazy Also when the slave HDD was the only device (other than the cd/dvd drive), I tried booting the 64bit systems recovery CD and that is a no go on a 32bit OS pc wink