• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rain gear to avoid?

Gadgetman

If you get Frogg Toggs, get the bibs, or the pants with no pockets. My pockets leak, even after sewing them shut.

I was initially disappointed in my 'Toggs, but I now find them very useful. Very light weight and waterproof. They are my backup rain wear but I find I'm wearing them more then I thought I would.

Keep them in the boat because you know how the weather changes by the minute around here smile

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick, kind of off subject, question for you guys. I am taking my 9 year old to Canada with me this year and need to find a reasonable set of rain gear for him to stay dry in. I don't want to spend too much since he will only get a year or so of use from them but want to spend enough for him to stay dry.

Any thoughts?

TonyO

ps. I use the Basspro Shops Gortex suite and it works just fine for me.

I've never put the money down on fancy rain gear, if it's raining I either get wet or don't go fishing(more often the former if it's a warm summer rain).. Mostly because I'm poor and can't convince anyone to fish with me in the rain!

For the couple of week-long canada trips I did as a kid I always went ahead and picked up a ~$50 set of whatever plastic waterproof rain gear was available at a local sports shop. Bring along duct tape just in case there are tears(happened to me once) and clothes to layer under it. Make sure to get something that seems a little "too big" so you can fit it over layers.

I've actually had really good luck with a set of rain gear I picked up at Target. Its the Eddie Bauer rain suit, you can find it in the camping gear.

Its around $30-40 for an adults large. The pants fit perfectly over your jeans and the jacket fits nicely over a sweatshirt of other light jacket. It had pocket openings in the pants and jacket that let you reach into your jeans pokcet or your under coat pocket without unzipping.

I've never had either the jacket or pants leak in the 6-7 years I've owned them.

its got good ventilation so even on those humid rainy days is not to bad to wear. I've done 12 hour days in this gear with it pouring the entire time and I stayed comfortable. I've had them for several years now and with normal usage I've yet to find a rip or tear.

Might be worth checking out if you're on a budget like I was when I bought them. Even now if I could spend more I'd likely get the same set again as i've had great luck with it for a decent price.

Just picked up the uninsulated Guideware from Cabelas. Didn't have any weather to test this weekend but it sure seems nice. I never really owned a nice set of rain gear and I think I will be happy I bought it. I have a pair of frog toggs in the boat and I have used it many times in the past and it has held up well but I was looking for something a little sturdier. Besides they gave me a free bag for spending a bunch of money!

I am on year 12 of my Cabela's Guideware. At year 10 I had problems with the Velcro coming loose. I ask them where to bring it to get it fixed and they said give it here and go pick out a new set. I told them they were 10 years old and they said enjoy the new set. I would highly recommend this outfit to anybody. best purchase of my life.

I reccomend the cabelas brand, or the helly hansen rain gear, I own both sets the truth is the helly hansen is the best but not everyone can afford them, I cant go without them as I fish lake Erie almost all the time, I get wet about everytime there.

Right now the uninsulated Guideware was 249 jacket and 210 for the bibs. I wear a 2xl so it is a few bucks more. I don't believe in paying more that you always get a better product but I do believe that you do get what you pay for. So hopefully it was money well spent.

Right now the uninsulated Guideware was 249 jacket and 210 for the bibs. I wear a 2xl so it is a few bucks more. I don't believe in paying more that you always get a better product but I do believe that you do get what you pay for. So hopefully it was money well spent.

Two years from now you'll be chimeing in and telling some new guy just how great Guidewear is. Maintain it properly and you will be dry and warm for years to come.

I have had Gander H20 for 4 years now. Sprung a leak in year 3, but was great before then. I will spend more and go with something better next time. For now I have some oddball discount jackets that get me by, and have tried re-treating the GM parka - not sure it will work.

I might be the only one here to say Scheels... grin I've owned a nice Scheels brand rainsuit (it's almost identical to my Arctic Armor, but not insulated). I've used it for 4-5 years now and it's performed perfectly.

I reccomend the cabelas brand, or the helly hansen rain gear, I own both sets the truth is the helly hansen is the best but not everyone can afford them, I cant go without them as I fish lake Erie almost all the time, I get wet about everytime there.

The Helly hanson stuff Rocks, Period

A quick, kind of off subject, question for you guys. I am taking my 9 year old to Canada with me this year and need to find a reasonable set of rain gear for him to stay dry in. I don't want to spend too much since he will only get a year or so of use from them but want to spend enough for him to stay dry.

Any thoughts?

TonyO

ps. I use the Basspro Shops Gortex suite and it works just fine for me.

Frog toggs web sight has good sales on kids stuff.

Isn't there more than one type of Guidewear at Cabelas?

There are two versions of Guideware one insulated and one not. Cabelas offers another suit that is one step down in price and seems to be very close in construction to Guideware. The only thing that I can see that is different is that it that the fabric is not a stiff as the Guideware. ............I'm starting to sound like some smitten girl talking about her prom dress LOL

I cant speak for the cabellas stuff - but it sounds good. I have had the tech h20 from gander - and really like it. Its also nice and windproof - and I wear it on colder windy days even when its not raining.

I should say that I believe my leaks on my Gander H20 are due to washing/drying. Mine is camo and I use it frequently during bow season. Trying to be scent free and washing it several times during the hunting season probably hurts it.