• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

E-Tec indexing plugs?

St_Croix_Banks

I recently was changing out my plugs and the tech told me they need to be "indexed" which is to make sure the gap is facing the injector. The problem is 3 of the plugs are threaded in such a way that when I tighten them down, the are facing 180 degrees away from the injector. I've tried playing musical chairs with the plugs but can't get it to work out for all 6 plugs. How do I handle this?

Sorry to duplicate this post, but thought I'd get a little more play in this forum.

You need to put washers under the plugs of the proper thickness so that when tightened, the electrode is oriented correctly. To move the electrode 180 degrees, the washer needs to be 1/2 the thickness of the pitch of the threads. If your mechanic suggested this, I would contact them to see if they have the right indexing washers.

Its pretty interesting....I called three different dealer (mechanics) and got three different answers:

1. Yes, you absolutely have to index the plugs or you'll be fouling them out very quickly. The gap has to point right at the injector.

2. Indexing is good, but you've got some play there, about 45 degrees "buffer zone" in either direction and you'll be fine.

3. As long as it's not directly opposite (180 deg away) from the injector you should be fine.

I ended up with 3 that are "nuts on" at the injector and the other 3 that vary up to 90 degrees away. The engine is running great so we'll see if anything fouls out this weekend.

I have a 2001 ficht 75, was told the same thing by three diff Evi mech's. I can get 3 of 4 lined up correctly "usually". If you buy about 12 plugs, you can try different ones till you get them to line up. I have lived with one of them usually about 60 degrees off. Don't seem to have much problem with it like that. One dealer suggested I buy a case of plugs (from him of course) and could go thru them all and mark them for each cylinder so I would have all of them "indexed"....whatever. I just buy about 8-10...do the best I can, and keep the others for next time around plus always have a fresh set on the boat.

Please do not just buy plugs and try them until you get lucky with the index. Do it right and don't waste your money.

Check out "Summit Racing" and type "indexing washer" in the search field. The washers come in sets, enough for an 8 cylinder motor and are the correct way to do this. They are about $15/set and will will allow you to put the electrode gap wherever you want it to be.

If your dealer is telling you to buy plugs until you find the ones that work they either do not know what they are doing or are trying to cheat you. Time for a new dealer.

I talked with 3 dealers and they all said don't use washers to index. (they didn't provide an explanation why) Would it void warranty? These are not small dealers either, they are high volume. The one told me to bring back the 3 that didn't fit and he'd give me 3 more until they all fit. I was thinking of pulling my boat into his parking lot and putting them in right there until they all fit. At $12 per plug that can get expensive otherwise!

$12 a plug????? WOW! Now I know someone is getting ripped off. By the way, indexing washers won't void a warranty, they are ultrathin pieces of copper that go on the bottoms of the plug in order to change where the plug stops turning into the head. They are very cheap to buy, and usually come in this little square case you can carry in your tackle box. They are hard to find, but the set will last for years.