• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

For those of us new to trolling planer boards, crankbaits and crawlers

epkirkman

I could use some help. I have read every book, every post and every thing else I could get my hands on.

We have a top of the line boat, top of the line tackle, and fricken HD sidescan sonar and the trolling bible.

I have spent 30+ hours trolling cranks (according to the book), spinners and leaches.

What in the heck can I do different.

Thanks for the advice in advance,

Ed

Ed... be more specific. not only in your post but in your fishing techniques. What type of structure are you fishing? I understand open water, but are you over mud or next to weed lines? Me personaly, I like cranks next to weeds and lindys on the mud bottoms. Also a firm believer in fishing for walleyes at night, or under the cover of clouds (jigs), I can't help but ask if you were fishing during the day. Stop this train of thought, and try you techniques at night. Switch your cranks to night time colors that work for you. I hope this helps.

I agree with the others, we need some more info about where / how / when you're fishing.

I troll a lot too, but not so much in the spring. At this time of year the fish tend to be more concentrated in shallower water, and other presentations are usually be more effective at catching them. That's a general comment and might not not be true for your location or body of water, but it might be something to think about.

I do a lot of trolling I dont like to just sit in one spot I troll craks bottom bouncers with crawler harness's side planners and have just purched down riggers I fish the lakes area and fish the rivers of S D maybe we can get together some time at the lakes most of my fishing is during the summer months

Thanks for the responses, the main body of water we fish is a 6000 acre basin, 23 feet deep. There is not much for structure. I know how to use my electronics for weedlines, rock piles and locating fish. This new side imagining sonar is incredible.

While trolliing we have a 24v system and I stay at 1.5 to 2.5. I am fishing right on top of breaks that drop into deeper water and there are fish there, you can see them plain as day on the side scan. I have very little experience with my planer boards.

As far as different presentations. I have no problem catching walleyes on twisters, leaches, jigs, ect. I have plently of experience with that and we do fish a lot at night.

When those presentations are not working and you have to fish during the day (like we did for two tournaments last weekend). I need to switch it up and learn how to pull these crankbaits. I have read all that I can on the topic and thus far I have been pulling my hair out.

Thanks again.

( I now look up and see you replied while I was typing) Thanks

Ed, from my expierience, if you are trolling right now, you better be trolling with your electrick on number 1. SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW, we work hared to get to 1.5mph or so on Minnesota opener every year, I realize you maybe in some warmer water further south than me, but slow slow slow is key right now.

What are you using for line?

What are you using for raps?

Are you using planer boards?

What are your depths?

What is your trolling speed?

How deep of water are you fishing?

What is water temp?

Lots of questions.

Ed, since I know what lake your targeting and I do quite well trolling heres a few hints. #1 stop by my place and I'll show you what I use LOL. I do well on both bouncer and spinners and cranks. I pull cranks 90% of the time on leadcore. I was outfished once badly while I was longlining and several others were pulling lead. 0 fish for us 15-20 for them in a 3 hour trip, opened my eyes. Crank choice is also a big factor, I'm sure you already know about the Frenzy and Shad Rap poularity here but theres a couple more baits that outproduce them on a regular basis. Biggest thing on the lake in question is what I like to call random trolling, I don't target much just drive around till I hit fish then concentrate on that area, mark an icon on your GPS for every hit or fish caught and soon a pattern shows itself. I don't do boards, I see no need even when night trolling cranks off the ends of docks in early June.

Once season opens I'll gladly jump in with you for a day or few hours whatever and see what we can come up with. Many days we limit out and never mark much on the locator, just random trolling sometimes right down the center of the lake.

Thanks Shawn, I will take you up on that offer. We were going to get a couple of our trolling reels spooled with lead core but we could not find any up here.

We are currently long lining using 10lb fireline and using the conversion chart in the trolling guide. We have been using Deep Diving Shad Raps 5's and 7's. Same colors I have watched others been productive with.

Water temp right now is 50 degrees. I don't see much of a change coming in the next few weeks.