• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

garage sales spear

Gordie

just got this spear today at a garage sale the lady told me her husband had speared quite afew northerns with it. not sure what kind it is but I think its a real nice spear and the price was only $20.00 what a deal I thought even if I dont throw it it'll look good on the wall next to my other spearing stuff. I think that I'll have to stab at least one pike with it. little rusty but I'll clean it up and it'll be great.

006-2.jpg

Score!!!!! cool

I love finding stuff at garage sales. The best are the ones where she tossed him out, or he left, and she is selling off all his stuff, if you know what I mean wink Hate to take advantage of someone elses misfortune, but somethings can't be helped.

elwood, I have one like that. I posted a pic of it on a thread last year called (A few more decoy, spear and spear pics) page 6&7. Early Riser has some info about it on that thread also. Nice find! If it's like the one I have it throws very nice, only draw back is it might be a little narrow for some. Let me know if you want to part with it, than I could have a matched set.

That is a very nice spear you guys have there. Good find!

Pictures are nice but it would also be fun to have a get together sometime to compare spears, a few decoys, saws, ice tongs, etc. I don't know when I could fit it in but it something to think about!

Your spear appears to have a tapered forged handle and the tines/key appear forged as well. Any idea who made it? If you can tie it to a maker it may be worth a LOT of money to the right collector. Be careful with it, do not file or grind anything until you have some history.

The design without a center tine, the length of the tines and shape of the points, the tine key and the head forging look like the spears made by Paul Zitzloff of Buffalo, who started forging spears in the 20's. Check out this book at the local library: "Folk Art Fish Decoys with Values" by Donald Petersen. It has pictures of Zitzloff's work along with a lot of other interesting stuff.

My grandfather has the last Betts spear ever made. I can't remember the price for the spears at the time...x amount if you brought your own materials, x amount more if you didn't (they were very inexpensive at the time), but I know they are quite valuable now. In any case, my Grandpa gathered some materials and went to Bett's house (I will have to check with him on the year, but many years ago). Milton's wife answered the door and said Mr. Betts hadn't been feeling well of late and was no longer working in his shop. Understanding, but a bit bummed out, my Grandpa walked away and was nearly to his car when the door opened again. It was Milton. "Hey," he whispered, "you have your own material?" My Grandpa said he did, so Milton told him to leave it by the garage and come back in a week smile

As it turns out, Mr. Betts was on his last days, but he spent at least a few of them sneaking away from his wife to build his final spear in his shop--a spear now owned by my Grandfather. I have used many, but I have never thrown another one like it.