• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

General Hunting Lounge

Rick

fishgun, I noticed you are from Stillwater. Me too. Will you be deer hunting locally? Check out my post in the der hunting forum. Somebody asked about sighting in their gun. I suggested Oakdale gun club. Try to avoid the weekend if you can. It's nuts there on the weekend.

[This message has been edited by hunt4food (edited 10-20-2002).]

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was out grouse hunting on the 19th and it was a great day in the woods. I hunted the Chippawa National Forest; jumped 6 and bagged 2. I was pleased concidering it was just my uncle and I walking without a dog. All the birds were jumped in the middle of the woods, not on the trails. Walk the pines and you'll find birds.

I found out my slugs are shooting about 4" low at 50 yards on my 870 smooth bore barrel.
I have a Simmons 4X shotgun scope and the person who adjusted the scope last year is not around to adjust it for me. The windage was perfect with all shots, but it shot 4" low.
How do you adjust he scope to make it aim correctly?

------------------
F-STOP

I found out my slugs are shooting about 4" low at 50 yards on my 870 smooth bore barrel.
I have a Simmons 4X shotgun scope and the person who adjusted the scope last year is not around to adjust it for me. The windage was perfect with all shots, but it shot 4" low.
How do you adjust he scope to make it aim correctly?

------------------
F-STOP

anyone got room or know of guides to go hunting that is not too expensive wanting to go out deer hunting for the first time ivehunted hog, chachalaca, dove, and stuff like that but never deer hunted before. thanks

You will want to choose a "rifled" slug. These will perform better from a smooth bore barrel than "sabot" slugs. There are lots of brands to choose from. I happen to like Remington slugs but don't have any real solid reasons why. I have a rifled barrel so I have not shot any rifled slugs for a few years. The rifled barrels perform better with Sabot slugs.

Good luck!

Thank you Hunt4food not only is your username appropiate but your advice is right on. I was at the Federal ammunition site and they said exactly what you said. Thank you. I will give a post if i get a buck because I will owe Hunt4food for it.

A little deer hunting humor humor! smile.gif
Speakin' of upcoming holidays, deer hunting is a holiday season all its own up here in North Country. And every year I get out my gun and my blaze orange fashion apparel, I start to thinkin' of those wild MacKenzi e brothers and their deer huntin' exploits.
Deer huntin' out of season is nearly a capital offense here. But a few years back, the MacK enzie brothers couldn't get enough of the huntin' experience, so they started makin' their own rules. But even with all the rule bendin' and breakin' that they did, as I know, they never succeed ed in baggin' a deer before.
That's why it surprised me when they supposedly took down 20-point buck! Now I dare say the average deer is smarter than a MacKenzie brother, and a big old buck like that one is most likely smarter than all three of them put together. The one time they got lucky hunting, they had the animal cleaned and dressed befo re they realized it was a cow. I figured the only way those guys could get a buck like that was to hit it with their truck or somethin'.
With curiosity gettin' the best of me, I decided to mosey on down to the courthouse and watch the Mackenzie Brothers go up in front of the judge. The brothers were cleaned up and wearin' their Sunday best. Th e case was presided over by the right-honorable Meyer Karl (brother to former Mayor and current Public Works Commissioner, Oskar Karl). The judge was familiar with the Mackenzie Brothers' shenan igans, and I doubted he would go easy on them. The prosecuting attorney was Robert Travers, a recent transplant and former D.A. from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. (I hear he moved to South Bran ch for the warmer climate!) For the defense it was Wilbur Dewey of Dewey, Milken, Cheetham & Howe.
Things did not look good for the Mackenzie brothers as the prosecution called its only witness -- the Mackenzie Brothers' own mother! She explained how she came home to find them field dressin' the deer on the ping pong table in the basem ent, with some blatherskite story about the deer dyin' of natural causes in the living room.
But then the Mackenzie brother gave their testimony (all together, with each fillin' in missin' pieces). They claimed they were sittin' around playin' cards when this 20-point buck leaped through the picture window, ran across the living room, down the hall, into the kitchen, down into the basement, turned around, came back upstairs, back through the kitchen and into the living room where it dropped dead on the carpet.
The prosecutor just rolled his eyes at their pathetic story. And said, "Other than being dead, the deer looks to be in pretty good shape. How come there are no cuts on it from coming through the glass?"
"Obviously," Mr. Dewey said, "its antlers broke the glass first, thus sparing the animal from cuts."
"How do you explain the fact that Mrs. Mackenzie informs us that the picture window is not broken?" Mr. Travers asked.
"Fearing they would be blamed for this somehow, my clients went to the hardware store and bought a replacement for the window. They installed it, cleaned up the broken glass and dragged the deer down in to the basement for dressing," explained Mr. Dewey.
"I don't suppose they have a receipt for the window?" the judge asked.
"No, your honor," Wilbur explained, "but I'm sure a call to the hardware store will confirm that they did buy a window on the day in question."
"Even so," the prosecutor said, "how do we know they didn't break the window themselves? Perhaps they shot the deer from the inside of the house -- which is something they have been in front of the court for doing before."
"That was a woodchuck," one of the brothers interjected. "And I thought the window was open."
"We demand an autopsy your Honor." The defense said.
"On a deer?!" The prosecutor cried. "Your Honor, they cleaned and dressed the animal and most likely obliterated all traces of a bullet. If their mother hadn't have come home when she did, no doubt it would have been cut up into steaks and put away in the freezer!"
The judge pondered for a moment. "Well, if what the boys say is true, this deer died of a hear t attack or some other natural causes. An autopsy will bear that out. I have no choice but to order an autopsy."
Well it turns out, accordin' to the vet, that the deer did indeed die of a heart attack. The Mackenzie brothers were vindicated and have managed to stay out of trouble the rest of the huntin' season! confused.gifgrin.gif

A liitle long but?
"FISH" grin.gif

------------------
http://www.icesaws.com/

Our crew got a couple deer this weekend and we would like to have the skins sent somewhere to have them tanned and have some gloves/hats or slippers made. Can anyone recommend a place to have this done? Thanks.

I have sold a couple of used guns. I just made a copy of their drivers license and asked them to sign and date it. I keep that copy in my gun safe. A gun dealer could probably help you transfer ownership, but they are going to need a fee for that I suppose.

PIKECHASER,

I'm coming in way on the tail-end of this conversation, but your rifle shouldn't be "registered" under your name in any way.

The only firearm that one must register is a handgun--by way of permit.

Or, is the 2nd Amendment just a figment of my imagination?

Huskminn is right.

No registration of firarms other than handguns at this time. Although getting a copy of the person's driver's liscense is a good idea.

P.S.

Make sure to look at the picture to make sure it is their liscense. As a buyer I'd ask for the same to protect myself in the event that the gun may have been stolen.

thanks for all the info guys...i talked to a couple gun dealers and they all said the same thing--get a copy of the guys liscense and make him sign & date thats all thats legally required..so if theres ever a problem you have proof of the sale---thanks again!!

Anyone been out since this last little snowfall to chase some small game. Myself no,
But have locked up some more 'yote land for the next snowfall.
Speaking of coyotes, have not seen the numbers this year that I have in the past.
Could be a good thing. Any comments?
Any body do alot of calling for yotes?
If you do, do you use a decoy?
Thanks Mark...

I used to hunt yotes a bit but never needed a decoy. It is a better thing for non-winter hunting I think. It has been a few years since I have been out. Now I am in the south metro and have really pondered getting out to ask permission down near New Prague, I am in Savage. Good luck out there. Maybe if the snow comes Saturday, and the cold sticks, Sunday could turn out to be a good day.

I wanted to start a new topic on the Waterfowl rules changes for next year and I am unable to. It says I have to be a moderator, Why???????????????????????

Ladies and Gents,

I just wanted to ask what type of rifles you all like to use for deer hunting. Im debating between getting a 270 WSM, A 30-06, or a 7mm WSM. Any suggestions. If you have compared the recoil, accuracy and distance of such rifles let me know your findings.

Thank You,

David Pena
[email protected]

Anyone out there with a used 410? Preferably a pump or bolt action for sale? I have a son that's been doing the "dirty work" long enough, and now it's time to do some shootin'. If you have something like this for sale, for a decent price, let me know.
email [email protected]

USPENAMC, if you're deer hunting, the .30-06 is more than you need and you can take any NA game with it. Do your shoulder and pocket book a favor, especially if you don't reload, and buy the .30-06

myzee13, do your son a favor and start your son on light charged 12 gauge rounds. It's easier to hit with and not too bad on the shoulder, especially if you reload. The .410 is a fun gun to shoot once you have wing-shooting learned, it's not a great ound to start a kid on because it's easy to miss with and that will lower the confidence.
Selmer