• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

General Hunting Lounge

Rick

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

All hunters gather here and talk about whatever pleases you as long as we keep it great for the kids as well.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm EXCITED to see that we now also have a place to talk huntin' too!!! Thanks Rick!

I thought I'd get things started by sharing a little somethin' I wrote a few years back:

Deer hunting was not a success this November, if you measure success by venison in the freezer that is. Many hours were logged "on stand" waiting for that wily buck to appear. Although an occasional doe would frolic past my where-abouts, the antlered gender of this beautiful species refused to make himself a candidate for my 12 gauge.

This, however sometimes undeniably frustrating, is not how I meter a deer hunting season. It’s much more than that one moment when a buck mysteriously emerges from thin air & your heart nearly jumps from your chest. Nope, it’s about alot more

It’s about the preparation of all the esentials...Blaze...check, Wool...check, license...check, boots...check, gun...check, slugs...check, handwarmers...check, lunch...check, am I forgeting anything?

It’s the anticipation, which by the way is perportionate to the amount of sleep obtained the night before, of opening day.

It’s about picking your good buddy up in the middle of the night, and wondering on the drive over if he’s awake. Or if you’re the pick-upie; pondering the thought of calling your 10-minute-late-buddy, and risking a wake-up call for his wife, just as he pulls in the drive.

It’s about the stories of past hunts, and the stratagies for this hunt, shared on the drive to the woods. It’s the optimism you both share for the dawn.

It’s about that steaming cup of java (that is if you remembered your thermos) in the crisp air outside the truck an hour before sunrise, and the excitement running rampant through your viens.

It’s about cackling roosters at false dawn, and the brilliant colors that follow.

It’s the perceptible brilliance a fresh snowfall creates.

It’s about the majestic red fox that jumps up on a log, sharing his grandeur for only a moment. The friendly little chickadee that lands on your shoulder, or the mink that sneaks through the deadfall below you.

It’s the flock of wild turkeys that march through the draw, chattering their "crazy talk." Or the red tail hawk that, somehow without seeing you, lands only 10 feet away.

Nope...deer hunting is alot more than loading a buck into the back of your truck, although the added bonus of tenderloins on a hickory smoked barbaque grill ain’t bad!

[This message has been edited by J.A.Say.Tree (edited 08-16-2000).]

I whole heartedly agree J.A.! I've always enjoyed the reading and developing the years strategy, working on stands, scouting, sighting in the guns and the past few years doing these things with my now 15 year old daughter. I went 2 years without a deer, letting them past so she would have a chance to get her first deer. When she harvested her deer I don't know who was prouder, her or me. This year my 12 year old daughter wants to hunt after going along last year. I can't wait. Good Luck, be safe and shoot straight.

[This message has been edited by Borch (edited 08-15-2000).]

Very well said J.A. Hunting is a lot more than actually taking game. This has become more evident to me after losing 2 hunting partner over the last three years, in non-hunting related accidents. I found that memories and pictures are all we really have. I could not tell you which one of my deceased partners shot the "big one" any given year, but I can tell you just about every great memory and story I have from great times spent together after the hunt. This priceless time spent together was all because of one great right we have-hunting.

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

looking for a good gun smith. I need a bent ejector pin replaced. I livew in spring lake park/blaine area. any help would be great.

Thanks-
Broncosguy

Question, anyone ever hunt Montana Elk? Is it worth it to pay extra to have an assured license as opposed to the lottery?
Broncosguy, Try Gene's Gunsmithing in St. Paul. or the Fronteersman in Saint Louis Park
sorry no Numbers handy.

MNice,

I haven't shot the 710 yet but have nothing but glowing reports from those who have. Built on the 700 action and available in 30-06 and .270 with a 3x9x40 scope. Retails for $320-$350. It's not the prettiest gun out there but should be a very functional hunting gun. Good accuracy and moderate recoil is what I've heard from those who have shot it.

BORCH, thank's for the info. I have a 270 on order for over a month. Finially came in, but with open sights, no scope!! Hopefully it will arrive soon so i can get some range time in. Again, thanks for your reply.

MNice,

Make sure you check out the remington site for the breaking in of the barrel process. This really does help with the accuracy of the gun. I used it one both my daughters guns which are real tack drivers.

Enjoy your new gun!

well guys of the duck aholick type--My mother and I AGREED to release an opening to state land through our land ;; Its a small bever dam, usually 4 guys can cover--chest waders can usually handle it on less you step into a bever run; were going up that way sat, if your interest in just checking it out let us know by friday early-- you will need ATV's un less you like walking a mile in swamp grass--no garentees--bring your 20gauge along, you might not be dissapointed

Wadersneyes,

I have a Tasco Pro-Point 3 on my Desert Eagle 44. I realy like the red dot for a pistol. it is quick and easy to get on target with. it is a 30MM scope so the large diameter increases the ease of getting on your target quickly. I liked it so much I bought a Pro-Point 4 whick is a 40MM for my 11-87 slug gun. This gun kills deer!!!! I have not shot a deer with the Eagle, but I plan to try again this year!

I am just a beginner with hunting and shooting. In fact, I just shot my first gun last night for the first time. A buddy and I went out to Metro gun club in Blaine to shoot trap. Wow, what a riot. For seven bucks they professionally shoot a round(25) of trap. I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to practice but doesn't have the land to throw their own clays.

Seabass77,

Congratulations. Watch out!!! The phenomenon you experienced last night has been know to completely engulf you in a very short time! Before you know it, every gun shop in town will know you on a first name basis and your wife(or girlfriend I suppose) will have your picture put on the back of a milk carton!!! It took a few years, but my wife has finally accepted the fact that she will not win the "hunting or me" challenge.
She even bought a refrigerator magnet that says: WE INTERRUPT THIS MARRIAGE TO BRING YOU THE HUNTING SEASON. If you flip it over, it says FISHING SEASON. have fun and shoot safe!!

although i passed on deer hunting this year, it was still my best year by far. As a 17 year old, it was great learning some back roads, and hunting some public land with my buddies for the first times. And as always, another great year at the duck cabin hunting with my grandpa, uncle, brother, and friends. Shot 17 ducks this year, and managed to get my first goose and hooded merganser (mistake at LQP in a flock of goldeneyes). Got the dog out more than ever this season and he had a blast too. Only disappointment was losing my first bull can, but there should be some more to come. Already preparing for next season, and hopefully it will be a lot of fun. Also spending a lot of time on the hardwater.

S.A.

looking for a little help/guidance here.
i have a ruger 10/22.
i am wondering if the clips can be taken apart to be cleaned?
if not then what is the best way to clean them?
hard to believe this is my first gun. bought it last summer late.

thanx
Monty

Monty, you bought yourself a great gun. I have had a ruger 10/22 for quite a few years and I love it. As far as cleaning the clip, I don't know what to tell you. I don't know of a way to take it apart the clips. I guess I have not cleaned the inside of the clip before. I have shot probably over 5,000 rounds out of that gun and never had a problem.

Ely lake expert

i do believe i bought a great gun. i only wish i would have splurged for the stainless barrel. other than that it has treated me well. a quick guestimate i have prolly put about 3,000 or so through it since i got it. definitely a cheap way to shoot a gun.
we were out yesterday afternoon and i suppose i put about 300 or so through it. i noticed there were a few times when both clips would not push the shell up. so i took them out after i noticed this and noticed that when you push the shells down (i would say there were still about 4 shells in each one) they slowly came back up. as you know you cannot push them down verry far in this clip.
the one came with the gun and the other i bought when i bought the gun.
guess i will look at them as i clean my gun and watch the taped NASCAR race from yesterday. i chose to shoot instead of watch the race live. tough choice.
i wonder if the remington cleaner or like will hurt the inside of the clips?
thanx
Monty

musthavemuzk, every thing that is put together can come apart,some times this turns out not so good tho. in tight spaces as this clip is i like to use starting fluid(in a well ventilated area). just blast it in from any possible hole, opening, or angle til the fluid runs clean. even if it takes two cans(which i highly doubt) it would only cost a couple of bucks. it drys very quickly with no residue, clean as a whistle. then add your favorite gun oil. i would be careful not to get it on the wood stock finish of your gun. good luck.
---------jigglestick--------

thanx jigglestick since i was unsure and the springs are gettin weak i went ahead and grabbed a new clip.
still using all of them as they have not quit workin yet.
if the weather cooperates tomorrow night we are gonna go play with the targets.
will have to take something with to spray them down and lube them up with.
thanx again for the reply
Monty

Does anybody have input on the Rem.ultra mags?Have read alot of good articles on them but have'nt talked with anybody who has one. 300ultra-7mm ultra,338 ultra??? looking at long range,probably med-heavy barrel.any input.Will be a stainless fluted barrel.