• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slider Window replacements- Economically ?

RainyEye

I have some Crestline slider windows in my 29 year old home that are getting in bad shape. What I'm wondering, is there a fairly economical way to replace these myself? I'm retired, am a fairly good handyman, and I'm hoping someone knows of a product or a way to just replace the sliders themselves without having to replace the frames as well. We'll be living here for awhile yet so I would like decent quality windows that have some good energy efficiency. Thanks!

I did double hung replacements in my house last fall, they are fairly easy to do, have a rep or whoever you are buying them from come out and measure, and be there when they do to verify and learn what comes off and goes where. Most window manufacturers have a dvd or online how-to video. You will want another person to help, they go pretty quick. The first one will take the longest and it gets fast from there.

I dont know where you're located. I used to sell windows, i chose thermo-tech. They are all vinyl though, but a great window, and a St cloud company. If you are looking for wood, either the Anderson or Marvin lines are really good as well, and also minnesota companies. (Anderson-Bayport, Marvin-Warroad)

Hit up a local lumberyard, i tend to stay away from the big box places, you get better service and knowledge at the little places, and they seem to go the extra mile more often.

Another thing is to ask for the 366 glass, you can get up to a 30% tax rebate on them at the end of the year.

AS a retired window Mfg manager, here is my input to your dilema. First and the most important , are the frames in bad shape too? Not the sashes,which only surround the glass,but the "frame" that is the bedrock of the window. If the frame is in good shape then consider sash and glass replacement parts(this would be the best bargain)Or,you could install the Vinyl units that fit into the existing wood frames.Keep in mind the condition of the frames. Building codes dictate that you cannot reduce a bedroom window size by more than 1 inch in either direction.Typically insert type units reduce the opening by as much as 3 inches or more each way.Explore "egress" to find the proper size for bedroom units.If the frames are shot,and if your home is as old as you say,they will be questionable as to their fitness to install the insert type replacements. If the frames are shot the easiest thing to do,and the "best" of all options,put in custom sized "new construction units.You need to be accurate in measuring for any of these options. Look me up in the phone book and I will walk you thru the measuring dilema. Good luck, Jess Roush