• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowbirds on ice and in the air

Steve Foss

These guys are tough. Snow buntings love to bump along in front of you, always just out of range as you shuffle after them. In this case, they decided to hang out with the light at a good angle.

I was under-lensed with the 1D Mk3, 300 f2.8L and 1.4 TC. These are crops, though not serious crops. And iso125, 1/1250 at f4, Ai servo focus, Av mode, -1 exposure compensation off evaluative metering, handheld.

3466638071_91f2ebaf40_o.jpg

3466638135_7101be8968_o.jpg

3466638143_7dcaf244f0_o.jpg

Very unique images, lovely to have the inclusion of water in a snow bunting image, very atypical! I would love to see snow buntings this close to breeding plumage. You are lucky. If you want a more cooperative snow bunting subject, come to Duluth in the month of October, they are much more cooperative then, if you are willing to crawl for them smile

If you want a more cooperative snow bunting subject, come to Duluth in the month of October, they are much more cooperative then, if you are willing to crawl for them

Shawn, we get them up here at that time, too. I posted a few images of snow buntings from 15 feet away late last fall. When they are on the gravel roads, a person can chase and chase and chase them to no avail. But if you sit still on your butt and wait them out, they'll work their way back to you.

I liked these because, while most avian photographers these days prize tight portraits of birds with clean backgrounds, it's the environmental portraits that appeal most to regular folks. Ken and I just loved the way the buntings flashed in the evening sun, fluttering down to drink and bouncing up in the air to fly.

Darn pretty birds. smilesmile

Here's a near miss from after they took wing and headed out of the country. They took off like rockets and my technique was almost, but not quite, up to the moment. Such is life. smilesmile

3466638139_6df58998c7_o.jpg

Ken, I wish it was just a bit more sharp, but we can't hit a homerun every time up to the plate, especially when we're expecting a tame change-up but are surprised by an unexpected southpaw throwing gas. You know.

Anyway, have you broken out the hand saw yet? gringrin

Let me know. I'm in, especially on a cloudy day, which it looks like we'll be having starting tomorrow. gringrin

Bet that golf meet was a windy, gusty business. Guy's gotta have a 9 degree driver to smack those wind cheaters and hope for a long roll on hard fairways. smilesmile