• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I planted some tomato seeds today!

I have never planted anything (oh wait-except for that marigold for my mom in kindergarten! blush ) so this is a really cool! Here's the tomatoes: DSCN0632.jpg

Here is the next thing that gets planted: Asparagus and Rhubarb! I'm really excited! Wish me luck! grin Any advice for me? What does everyone else plant each year?

DSCN0634.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lisa - You are going to have a TON of tomatoes. You shouldn't have to plant the asparagus or rhubarb ever again. And, I don't think you'll be able to harvest asparagas for two years, but when its ready, give me a call - one of my favorites. And, I haven't had a garden in years. I think I might do a small container garden this year though. Have fun!!!!

I've always done the tomatoes the easy way.. Let someone else

start 'em, and I buy the plants when they're about a foot tall.

I don't have a green thumb,either and they probably wouldn't get to more than a couple inches if I grew them from seed. grinlaughsmile

I'm afraid they won't make it into the ground either! Between my cats/the deer/rabbits, my lack of green thumb/experience and our fickle MN weather, I'm just hoping to get a couple juicy tomatoes by the end of the season. blushgrin

Quote:
You are going to have a TON of tomatoes
I'm hoping so Debbie!

Yeah Lisa!!

I've done flowers from seed and green onions from seed.

I always started the flowers inside doing the "greenhouse thing" similiar to the way you're doing. The part I hate the most is thinning them out once they start sprouting.

I'm afraid I won't leave enough or the right ones.

The green onions I started outside but never had any luck - think it was the soil.

I've always had a small in-ground garden at my apartment but I've never had grass, so right now I'm learning about lawns - aerating, seeding, feeding, weeding.

Hopefully going to be having siding done and a new front walk put in this spring so not sure how many flowers I'll get it in the ground.

Holy jeez Patti! You're doing a ton this summer!

I've always had a lawn but now that I've quit doing daycare, I suppose I could start concentrating on that too. I was always a little leery of putting anything on my lawn with little kids around but it is really worn out and you should see the giant dead grass circle the pool has left! I have to something with my yard too. I better go start hanging out over at the Lawn & Garden forum!

Beat ya to it Lisa!

Already got a posting on there about where to start

with the lawn. I need to found out about those "doggie areas" too. Already went thru and picked up all the dog bones..lol.

If the siding and sidewalk get done, they'll have to be done by contractors based out of Bloomington because thats where I'm hopefully getting the grant for those who bought foreclosed homes. I'll just stand around, look pretty(hopefully) and watch.

If I do plant anything, I'm like fishnfool, let someone else start. Lisa, are you going to can all of those tomatoes??

Patti - I'm evious, you are so ambitious.

Except for the crappy grass we have, after 7 years, our landscaping is done. Previous owners did NOTHING to the yard and other than what we've done, it certainly shows. If I could afford it, I'd have the grass ripped out, black dirt brought in, and new sod brought in.

Lets see the ruhbarb horseradish and asparagus planted years back. every year i plant tomatoes, green peppers jalepenos,onions cabbage celery cukes,radishes carrots kalarhabi squash dill and on ocassions beets. i even leave a little room for my wifes flowers. smile

lisa, i am not debbie but i can give ya an educated quess. i plant 18 to 21 tomato plants each year.depending on weather and moisture i get about 12 pear or peach boxes full. its enough to eat a bunch make 21 qts of stewed tomatoes and aroung 22-24 pints of salsa. throw in about 10 pints of juice. by the way nice glamour shot avatar. grinblushlaughwink

I try to plant every year...2 tomato plants, cukes and flowers. I've tried the other stuff...not much success.

Lisa....the calendar on the left of the screen, just above top posters is missing the 27th. I told Gary there is a reason for it!!!! laugh

I think we will be making lots of spaghetti sauce and salsa this year wink That's a good thing grin
so jim, is the salsa and spagetti sauce for the days lisa doesnt hold up her end in the boat? smirkcrazylaughwink sorry lisa. whens the sgetti feed? winkwhistle

I believe it is three years before you can harvest any asparagus.

As for the yard work the best thing you can do is to get rid of the grass in my opinion. I went with the paver, shrubs and bushes look. To me it is silly to spend time fertilizing, watering, aerating just so you can mow it more often. grin