• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod Question

So I'm looking at getting an 8' or 8'6" rod this year. I have it narrowed down to a couple brands and models, including the MI Bulldawg, St.Croix Premier, and the Okuma.

I'm leaning towards the Okuma because I would like a longer handle. I don't know/understand the benefits of the telescopic rod verses the standard rod I have always had before. Can anyone explain the difference to me?

RU

Telescopic rod allows for easier storage and transportation.

Zactly! However, keep in mind that any rod made from multiple pieces (telescopic, traditional two piece) is inherently weaker than a one piece rod.

Also, you mentioned going with one rod or another because of the longer handle. Have you considered having Keith or another rod builder making you one? You can get the EXACT specs you want with the handle length and blank then. Another thought- I wanted a longer handle on one of my muskie rods... right up until I used it. I quickly discovered that a rod with the back cork longer than about 12 1/2" gets caught on my shirt/gut when I would cast.

I have a 7'10" Croix Avid heavy bass rod with a telescopic handle that may be my favorite all-around rod. Muskies, bass, pike, big walleye cranks, sturgeon, etc. Yes, fitting the rod locker is a big plus!

The Okuma rods are nice sticks, don't be turned off at all by the telescopic handle.

Scoot is right too, if you're particular about handle/rod length etc, custom built is the way to go. More affordable than you may think, Keith (KT Pro Edge) has some great rods at comparable to shelf prices.