• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New rod for myself...

Started working on a new stick for myself. A 9'6" 6wt flyrod that I finished the handle on just a bit ago. Heres some picts of the handle construction...

Just a pile of craft foam, regular cork, burl cork, and rubber composit cork...

p4202941.jpg

Bottom is the fighting butt glued and top is the handle before glueing...

p4202940.jpg

Heres my homemade clamp. I drill each ring to fit the arrow shaft, then some 2-part epoxy on each ring, and tighten down the wing-nuts...

p4202942.jpg

Starting to shape up on the lathe...

p4212945.jpg

And finished with my new reel. The reel has a blue dunn finish and I found some blue backing to go with the greenish line. THats why I went with the blue and green color scheme in the handle. I'll carry that scheme over to the thread wraps. Also found and am excited about that reel seat with the trout on it...

p4212954.jpg

Actually built a rod for guy(with his materials) in turn for a large bin of variety of wood. Red cedar, walnut, apple, buckhorn box elder, maple and birch. I have also just scrounged up some dead fall white cedar and that stuff is excellent, very light and can have some real character.

Finally got a chance to finish this rod. Im heading to canada in a few weeks and I wanted this for the smallies. Went with single foot guides and found thread to match the color in the handle...

p7283083.jpg

Stripping guide...

p7283076.jpg

Usually I do a 3 color diamond wrap, went witha cheveron wrap on this one. I should have take picts of the layout. Basically its a 1/2 inch spaced cross wrap that you only add to the left side of the X...

p7283074.jpg

Two closeups...

p7283070.jpg

p7283071.jpg

p7283078.jpg

Second coat of color preserver goes on tonight, then finish tomorrow, ready to fish after that. I did cast her in the yard tonight - very nice!

Thanks all!

Mike W - I got the reel seat through Netcraft. I like that it has double rings to lock the reel on. Plus it is unique and the price is very nice. They also have a few that are similar but have wood inserts and no fish...