• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lindy's - what's your fave?

FishNovice101

I been thinking of doing the same and been doing a bit of research this is a little bit I came up with. A thicker leader material lessen the chance of line tangling and resist twisting at higher speeds and tracks better through the water. The smaller cupped blade easier it turns at slower trolling speed. For faster speeds a long willow leaf shape blade handle better. For the clasp attaching spinner to leader use medal instead of the plastic quick clip variety. Don'T get hung up on colors to much. The basics like chrome, orange,chartreuse and gold should be sufficient. Fish don't see them eyes or scales imprinted on spinner but the fisherman sure do. wink Its more about the speed trolling and the movement of the bait.

Add beads before and after the spinner by adjusting where the beads and blades are on the leader can make the bait move differently, from being more erattic to more subtle.

As for hooks a #4 or #6 gamatsu octopuss hook works well.

here are a few of my rigs.

i run 8# from the reel down the the weight and barrel swivel. I like to use brightly colored lines such as tangerine and neon yellow...maybe that clues you in to the brand i prefer. after that i have an arm span of clear 6# mono. on the end of that is either a pink and white floating jig or a pink or orange gamakatsu hook.

thats how i rig.

Croixflats,

I have different shaped blades, so I will try some diffferent combos this year.

As far as adding beads above and below the blades, do you run the line throught them twice so that they are stationary? I've never done that before.

Thanks for the advice!!

I like that colored line for the leader. I going have to try that out. Floating jig is good to.

Thanks mrfish.

=

I'd like to add for those days a bare hook might be the wy to go a float can be added to the leader and remember where the float is located on the leader can change the movement of the bait.

-

Bobber stops work well for adjusting floats or spinners as long as there is beads before them. Running line through twice will work good with heavier line but eventualy memory sets in on the leader so it maybe diffacult for adjusting the position of spinners on leader.

-

Also the farther away the spinner is from the bait less liklyhood of the bait spinning. The placement of beads between the spinner and bait can also manipulate what the bait does.

heres a little tip i use seems to help keep the bait lively and up off the bottom and catches fish in slow times

i use 8 xt green on the reel 6lb xt green on snell mostly 6-8 ft long i use lindy floats just one black one with leeches

white one with crawlers # 6 hooks any good one gamustiu ...

vmc i was kinda leaning towards chartuse last yr but i fish

winnie so the color of the water you fish could vary hook color red always seems good

some times i will use clear xl for alittle more movement of the bait fish as veritlce as possalbe

Funny isn't it on how ideas can be formed. That still is a good tip because I do have trouble focussing on those points. I will defanently use it. Thats if I can find it. I have not seen it it but then again I was not looking for it.

-

I forgot to mention the bigger the blade one goes with it is better to go with a bigger bead.

I use to tie up a ton of spinners and rigs.To many in fact,I wasnt using all that I tied and had many left at the end of a season.Now I just tie up enough to get me thru a weekend and if I need more I have all the parts in the boat with me.Let the body of water your fishing dictate what kind of rig you will use to fish it.Spinners offer both flash an vibration for fish to locate,I have found silvers and gold colors to work best for the waters I fish, but there are a million variations you can try.Like Crioxflats said though alot of colors catch fishermen.Water clarity helps me to choose line weight and length,clear water I go a little lighter and longer on my rigs.Cloudy or stained water ill use heavier line and shorter leaders.Floats for me come into play in rocky situations and beads are another endless color and shape deal.

I usually tie all my own rigs. I use Fireline Crystal down to my Foam Walker (standing slip sinker)a red plastic bead, snap swivel, 8lb florocarbon leader - about 4 to 5 feet in length, red gamakatsu hook with a piece of my Ice Buster Bobber foam (almost 1/4" in length) pierced through the hook for a floater. This Foam Walker keeps my line off the bottom and the piece of foam keeps the hook with a leech up in the strike zone. Best slow mo rig out their. Sometimes I put a smile blade and 4 plastic beads in front of the red hook instead of using a metal spinner. The Smile Blades will spin at slower speeds and are alot lighter. When using a Smile Blade I then use up to 12-lb florocarbon leader. It has less twisting with a little heavier leader.

Bruce Mosher

We used to tie a bunch ahead of time, now we just tie them on the go. We use 4 or 6# flouro for leader for clear water or finicky fish (on Mille Lacs once, the 4# flouro caught fish at a 12 to 1 ratio over regular 8 pound mono leaders - otherwise same bait and colors and leader length otherwise). Use 8# flouro as about the heaviest line we use.

We use the plastic quick change clevis for blades, unless we are going really slow, then we use the standard metal clevis. It is nice to be able to change color of blades. We do think it makes a difference, and often will use a Sharpie to color half an orange/chart/etc blade black to change it up some.

We also use a quick change clevis and bobber stop for the weight/sinker. We put it ahead of the swivel, so it is very easy to change the leader length with a bobber stop adjustment. Also easy to change out the weights. We like the Lindy no snag weights. (Also makes it nice when storing rods, as you can ge tthat weight off the line, so no more "slingshot", ha!.)

We use colored hooks, not sure if it makes a difference but we like them. Usually number 4 but at times 6. I like bigger hooks myself. Red or Chart. hooks is my fav colors, but who knows if it is just in my head... nothing else is in there wink

Oh yeah, we just make sure the line on reel is heavier than the leader so if leader breaks we don't lose the whole thing (weight and ball bearing swivel). Usually some sort of superline...

I don't tie any up until I am ready to use them. I have noticed that they coil too much if I pretie. I typically use 6# Vanish or Trilene XL. For most of my reels, I spool 8# P-Line with #6 on my medium lights. I almost always start off with a longer snell 5-8 feet and trim down from there if need be. I use a single bead, typically chartreuse, and a red #6 Gamakatsu.