• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Utilizing bait for channels.

Float tube guy

well i know that,but when is it the time to switch up baits, Like when to use Dip bait, worms,Shrimp,Anything basicly

Are you looking for some kind of Cliff Notes on Catfishing. All the baits you mentioned (Stink Baits; Shrimp; cut bait; nightcrawlers; etc; etc;) will catch channel cats. What is working at any particular time is something you have to establish by using the bait on the end of your hook. I have some confidence baits that have worked for me and I always start with my confidence baits and then move from there if I don't have success.

My "Go To" bait is fresh, cut bait. I like cut bullhead, cut sucker, or cut anything that is legal. I like fresh, juicy cut bait that I know will leave a good scent trail in the water. Not everyone agrees on cut bait and I've got friends that are very good catfishermen that swear by stink baits and use them almost exclusively.

I can tell you this with utmost confidence - with any good channel cat bait it is all about scent. That is predominately how they find their food. Work baits in this order: Smell, Sound, Sight. Look at the water you normally fish in - most of the time it is stained, dirty, with high to moderate current. How do you think they find your bait? They smell it first, if it is alive it is probably struggling and making vibrations that sound alerts them when they get near, and finally they stumble on it and see it from inches away.

So when do you switch up baits? When you lose confidence in what you are currently using. I personally just start changing baits more often and try to keep a good scent trail in the water. Don't let your bait sit in one spot forever. Move it a few feet left or right, closer or farther out. Try to put it near where you think a fish will pick up the scent trail.

Lastly, don't be discouraged by a SKUNK day. It goes with catfishing especially at this time of year. If I get skunked that is just catfishing - it makes me want to go again the next night to see if I can find them. There is no magic bait - just time on the water and finding good spots that will produce fish under that day's conditions.