• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring Waterfowl Honeyholes

Have been good so far this spring.

Canvasback drake with a drip.

111559193.jpg

Pinnie drake

111544348.jpg

Hooded Merganser mating display. (These guys are fun to watch)

111529715.jpg

111500998.jpg

Northern Shoveler "spooning" water.

111512730.jpg

Red Breasted Merganser.. my obligatory BIF.

111326706.jpg

Pinnie (hen)

111525478.jpg

A semi rare sighting...a Barrows Goldeneye.

111570422.jpg

I am pretty sure I saw a Cinnamon teal as well and will be going back to check this location tonight or tomorrow night. smile

Last spring I got into waterfowl photography with my father-in-law. Everything seemed to come together as it was easy for us to find many different varieties of migrants on many of the local ponds (Eden Prairie/Chanhassen area). I enjoyed it so much that I invested in a 50D this last winter and am in the market for a couple of prime lenses. Unfortunately, I have been very disappointed in the amount and variety of birds I have seen this year. They are definitely not on the same ponds. I've spent hours in the blind only to watch a few mallards and wood ducks. There's been no buffleheads, no shovelers, no ringnecks, no teal, not to mention the less common varieties that you have captured. At this point I'm hoping for a better spring next year, as my wife and I are expecting a baby any day now.

So in my frustration, I find that I appreciate your images that much more. Your work is a testament to scouting and knowing where the ducks want to be. While I thought this year was a bust you continue to produce great photos. Keep the images coming.

Quote:
So in my frustration, I find that I appreciate your images that much more. Your work is a testament to scouting and knowing where the ducks want to be. While I thought this year was a bust you continue to produce great photos. Keep the images coming.

Thank you very much! The effort is generally appreciated more by other photogs as they realize getting some of these species is difficult. I find getting close and getting full frame or close to full frame images with a 300mm lens is just another challenge in the pursuit of getting nice images. I also strive to expand the species in the portfolio so finding a Barrows was a HUGE bonus! I heard from a friend that my Cinnamon was not spotted last night so I may have missed the boat on that species. cry

You are in an area that has some very good locations nearby! If you scout out the river valley, you will find some nice locations for years to come!

I'm not a huge photo guy (tho I'd like to get a digital SLR and play with it more), but I duck hunt a lot and that helps. I was wondering what you're using to get these great, detailed shots. 300mm huh? that's great! Do you setup a blind to get as close to the action as you can?