• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tranny Fluid??

Mudcat21

Yes they did make one. It was a 400cc 2-stroke not the 425cc 4-stroke which I think started production in 2001.

As far as your tranny fluid question I'd look in your manual. If you dont have one you can get one for cheap on the internet. Or you could just call a dealer they should beable to look it up. Just dont let them talk you into buying 5 gallons of the stuff.

Hey I just saw your from Shafer, I am to.

Here's the steps for a '98 400L Xplorer (the list doesn't go back to '97) No Sportsman 400 on the list for that year. Tranny calls for 12 fluid oz.

Transmission Oil Changing Procedure

1. Remove skid plate.

2. Remove fill plug/dipstick.

3. Remove transmission drain plug located on the bottom right hand side and drain the oil. Catch and discard used oil

properly.

4. Clean and reinstall the drain plug.

5. Add Polaris Premium Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant

(PN2871478 - 12 oz. bottle) to full mark on the fill plug/dipstick.

6. Check for leaks.

7. Reinstall skid plate removed in step 1.

Thanks Dave! It is a 97 sportsman 400 (4250 miles on her too) 2 stroke and that was the info I was looking for. I have the manual but no where in there could I find the amount of fluid needed. Looks like I now have a weekend project! Thanks Again Mudcat