• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Starting 2 stroke 90HP Johnson before launching

jason007

I have noticed it can take a bit of work to get my motor going at the landing. I usually back it in the water and get it running before shoving off from the trailer just in case I need to pull the boat out quick if I need to. It probably just seems like it is taking forever because people are waiting to use that ramp but my question is, would it be a bad idea to fire up the motor and get it running for a few seconds before backing down the ramp? It seems like once it fires up it will start right back up so it would save me a few minutes. My thought was while at the access getting everything ready for launch I would fire up the motor for 5...10 seconds or so and then shut it down that way I know it would fire right up once in the water. Is that bad for the motor? Thoughts? Just trying to speed up my launching process, hate keeping people waiting while I crank away on the motor.

Sounds like new plugs or a carb rebuilds in the near future. But then again some motors are just hard starters. We have an 05 Merc that if you don't do things perfect it wont start.

I don't know how bad it is on the motor strting them dry, I have always been told it's bad. I do dry start my 70 in the spring just to make sure it will fire before heading to the lake. It's a 93 and purrs like a kitten once shes been run once to burn the oil out.

If the launch is very busy I think it is more polite to launch your boat and start it in the water. You shouldn't make others wait because you are experiencing motor problems or starting delays. Many times getting a motor started may require some serious cranking and adjustments to throttle, choke and primers. These take time but they should only be taking up your own time. Making these changes and continuous cranking are better done in the lake in my opinion.

If the launch isn't busy and there are two launching lanes that keep the launching traffic flowing then keep your boat on the trailer in in water.

Welcome to FM!!!

You could check in the boat forum but my understanding is that it is very hard on the impeller in the water pump since it is cooled and lubricated by the water.

Check the owner's manual. As I recall mine said to never run dry.

But it's a Merc.

I have a suction cup device that attaches to my hose at home. I can't think of what you call it. But they are made for outboards. I believe you can pick them up at wall mart or any Dealer ship. Just turn on the water before you try to start it. That way you can start it in your drive way. It works great for me.

Mike

Best not to run it dry, knolls has a great suggestion. Also while taking the straps off give the primer bulb a few squezes to firm it up.

Personally I don't mind waiting for the guy ahead of me to start the motor on the trailer while at the launch. Like you say if something is wrong you can pull it out right then. I do the same thing and I would hope the guy behind me is considerate and understanding if he is not that his problem and he will have to learn a new word called patients.

I agree with broken_line, never, ever start any outboard motor out of water! You will fry the impeller in just a few seconds with out the water lubing it. Done that, learned that, many years ago and one new motor ago! cry If you need to, get the little cup thing you can hook up to the water hose, and then just idel it!!

I gotta agree with everyone else, don't start it up out of the water, that is unless you want to replace the impeller soon. Put the boat in the water and get the tow vehicle out of the way so other people can use the launch, just a little respect for others.

Most outboards have a starting procedure to make starting easy. I start with making sure I the fuel line bulb it pumped up to firmness. Then a quick prime from the key and normally it is running. But then I change plugs at least once a year and start at least once in the spring on the muffs.

Sounds like your electric choke may not be working. Listen at the motor while someone pushes in the key to choke, you should hear a click on side of motor. If you don't, there is a red lever on side of motor, (remove motor cover) turn to up position to manual choke. Once it's started and running well, turn it down. The water hose device is called a "Muff", and Fleet Farm also carries these. Only about 5 bucks. Don

Jason, I have a 19' Lund ProV with a bunk trailer and have to drive it on and off the trailer. I've never gotten perturbed with anyone that had a similar rig or anyone that is having mechanical issues. It's the one's that haven't done they're prep before they back down the ramp(tie downs, rods/tackle, and all the other things they want to have in the boat) that aggravate me.

Sounds like your electric choke may not be working. Listen at the motor while someone pushes in the key to choke, you should hear a click on side of motor.

Johnson's actually use a primer system, so you very likely won't hear the click of the butterfly valves closing.

With respect to starting the motor out of the water... running the motor while out of the water is hard on the impeller. That said, if you crank the motor over until it catches and shut it off immediately afterwards (no revving up, no waiting to idle down, etc) you won't be doing much harm, IMHO.

marine_man

They're cold blooded motors. The only good way to start em is to squeeze the primer ball, put it in neutral and pump the throttle 3 or 4 times, and then back off to about 1/2 throttle and turn the key. As soon as she fires give her a few good revs and then back off but don't drop below 1500 rpms. Just let her high idle for a good 20 seconds or so and I'll bet she goes fine. Sometimes a few extra pumps of the throttle help while cranking it over. If you think you flooded it put it all the way forward and crank. Just be sure to back off the throttle once it gets running.

I have a 90hp Merc that does the same thing as the original poster's motor does. Had the carbs fixed and linkage fixed....nothing has worked yet. I did the work because of the same issue. It takes a long time compared to other people at the landing to get the thing going. I think they are just cold blooded and there is nothing you can do. I switched to Amsoil HP Injector and that seems to help a little bit as I think the Oil Injector mixes too much oil into the gas.....which causes the motor to foul out. That is just what i think but who knows.

I have an 1987 70 horse Evinrude and my exact starting procedure at the launch(after the boat is in the water) is to pump the bulb til firm, turn the key to on, push in and hold the key for about 8 seconds, continue to hold in and then turn the key to start. Not sure about yours but on mine pushing in the key activates the primer not a choke. I used to play h e l l trying to get that thing to start until someone told me it was primer not a choke. Now it starts up immediately.

I think some stated earlier that yours has a primer instead of a choke also. Give it a try, may work out for you too.

pump the throttle 3 or 4 times, and then back off to about 1/2 throttle and turn the key.

Pumping the throttle on an outboard is unnessecary. In fact, about all you will do is cause premature wear on the throttle cable.

I had the same issues with a 2000 40hp merc 2st, never a problem once on the water for the day after the initial startup being tough. Then one morning after leaving my boat in the water overnight (motor in the down position)I noticed when I went to start it expecting another tough start, it started right up and idled fine. The next time out I then tried keeping the motor in the down position on the trailer till i got to the ramp then only lifted it to launch..starting was fine then too. Seemed like it would flood in the lifted position.

Originally Posted By: dobiel
pump the throttle 3 or 4 times, and then back off to about 1/2 throttle and turn the key.

Pumping the throttle on an outboard is unnessecary. In fact, about all you will do is cause premature wear on the throttle cable.

I guess I've always pumped them like I do my carbed I/O's. It seemed to work but I guess the most important part of the procedure is making sure you've got the throttle in neutral and atleast 1/2 throttle while you're cranking her over.

I have a 90hp Merc that does the same thing as the original poster's motor does. Had the carbs fixed and linkage fixed....nothing has worked yet. I did the work because of the same issue. It takes a long time compared to other people at the landing to get the thing going. I think they are just cold blooded and there is nothing you can do. I switched to Amsoil HP Injector and that seems to help a little bit as I think the Oil Injector mixes too much oil into the gas.....which causes the motor to foul out. That is just what i think but who knows.

Beerfish, we had the 90 merc 2 stroke (1987) for about ten years, and after we figured it out, it always started perfect. It took a while though, ha! Choke the heck out of it, even on warm days. If you think you choked it too much, choke it more smile Then after it was started the first time of the day, you never have to worry about it the rest of the day.

I see that on many motors at ramps. People don't choke them enough. I was cranking away on our 90, probably the same as some here do, and it just wasn't starting - this was about 20 years ago... a guy on the dock laughed, and said "choke the he11 out of it, then do it some more..." I did and it ever since that has helped, and I tell people the same thing when I see them at ramps with poor starting motors. Usuaully it does work, too.

Good luck.