• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do-it-yourself underground fencing

SnoManX

Has anyone trenched in their own underground fencing? How deep did you go and what did you find was the easiest way of doing it? Did you rent equipment or make your own? I was trying to figure out how I could plow a trench with my fourwheeler.

Any tips are greatly appreciated, I need to fence in 5 acres!

I've never personally done it but a friend of mine did it on his acreage (2acres) he rented a small walk behind trencher and had it done in a day. Im not sure on the depth but you can set most walk behinds anywhere from 0-24" and they move along pretty good depending on the type of soil. With all the moisture this time of year it would make pretty quick work of it.

I have done several by myself. I have trenched in smaller lots by hand, and used a trencher as well. For 5 acres I would use a trencher. They rent them up here by the day. Get one that will dig a trench and lay the wire at the same time. I think that I usually try to bury it a foot down. Make sure you draw a diagram which shows where the connections are, and use good underground grade wire and connectors. I have also laid it on top of the ground in the woods and have had no issues. I have heard that rabbits and wildlife will chew on it if it is above ground though. If it is above ground it is easier to inspect if it stops working all of a sudden.

I did it myself also and it was pretty easy. Just follow the instructions for depth. It just goes about 2-4 inches below the ground. did my lot in an afternoon with a shovel. You can rent the trencher and do large areas quickly, and use a shovel if you want to put it closer to certain areas the trencher won't fit. If you have to go across a driveway, lay a bead of caulk in the crack then put in the wire and lay a secdond bead of caulk over it.

I also rented a trencher, I dug mine about 3-4 inches deep. Like jigging matt said for the drive way that is what I did also. Exiting the house, I drilled a hole to feed the wire out, then you twist the line to elimanates the signal. I went straight out from the basement to the border of my property and then split the wire again. Then went around the whole outside of my property.

I would never go without an underground fence again!

In the winter if you have a nice burm, just crank the fence up a little.

I was told to make sure and round the corners, rather than sharp 90 degree ones. Otherwise the wire will snap when the ground freezes. I even bent the wire in small zig zag patterns every 10' or so to allow for stretch. I did mine 2 years ago and so far no problems. I rented a power edger and buried my wire about 6" deep.

Nels

I just put in an Invotec system this past weekend. It took me about 4 hours from start to finish. Buried about 500 feet 3-4 inches down by hand. It is working very well. After a few shocks the 9 month old mut is definitly respecting the flags.....

I've had to leave a portion of my wire above ground due to rocks/tree roots in the wooded portion of my lot. I've had issues with the wire being broken and chewed.

If I replace just this section of wire with a heavier guage wire will it have any effect on how the system operates?

I used a power edger and it took about 15 minutes to go around about a half acre. Rent is about $25 for 4 hours. I had a Innotek and the dogs would run threw a few times but for the most part it worked well, but inherited a Invisable Fence and hooked it up to the wire I had in for the Innotek and no run threws anymore.

If you are frugal (cheap, like me) and can use the exercise (like me) it's not that bad a job for an afternoon. One tip I'd give you if you're planning to do it by hand is to use a square spade shovel to cut down about 4-5 inches and rock it back and forth to make a valley all around the perimeter. When you are ready to start laying the wire, snake it through a vacuum crevice tool (the long flatted one with the slit in the end). After you've unspooled the wire all around the perimeter (to the outside of your valley so you have plenty of slack) just drag the crevice tool about 4 inches deep and it will lay the wire down perfectly. This works best if you have someone else following about 2-3 feet behind you stepping the grass back down.

Tip#2- Just remember to rinse out the crevice tool before your wife uses it to vacuum under the refrigerator ...doh!