• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nungesser Fishing Reports

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been going to nungesser for years. The fishing is phenominal.

100 walleye days are not uncommon. Lots of big pike also.Anglers Kingdom is a great place to stay at on the lake. Nice cabins and equipment. The food is excellent.

Bennelli

We did not fish there last year. Actually went another 20 miles up the road to fish two different lakes but the fishing was still awesome. Nungesser has a good landing that is a Crown landing and needs to be portaged into around a small waterfall. From the map I have seen the east side of the lake where the river comes in should be a simple place to start and the islands in the middle of lake should provide plenty of structure. It is a monster of a lake and reelhappy is right where Angler Kingdom will put them on fish. I hope to fish it without staying at a resort this year for a day trip.

Have been going to Anglers kingdom on nungesser lake for 10 years now! My brother and I have taken our sons and our sister fishing to AK , We continu to go to the same lodge untill we find a better deal. I am severly handicaped and the boats at AK are the only ones that I can sit in for any length of time. The fishing is absolutly out of this world, We can and have caught hundreds of fish per day. Go to the anglers kingdom web sight , Kevin and his wonderfull wife Debra will look after you like kings. Good food the best boats the best fishing at the best price. If you find a better place to go please let me know!!!

Fishnut, you say that Nungesser has a landing on Crown land. Is any other part of the lake Crown land you can camp on? In other words where we could get in where you describe and stay for a few days. If not, where do/would you camp (on what lake) that would allow you to make a day trip in to Nungesser? I assume you're describing a fairly short portage that one could do with 14' aluminum boats and 9.9 motors pretty easily? (we used to portage up to half a mile with these back in the old days exploring new lakes). Thanks.

Everything on Nungesser other than where the camps are would be Crown Land. I would think that with a camping permit, you would be fine. Most of the restricted camping areas are closer to the MN/Ontario border. If you contact the MNR, they can give you the info you need and where to purchase your camping permits.

I was there about 3-4 years ago, can't remember what time of year though, thinking it was August. Had best luck for walleyes mostly off of points and small islands. There is a big reef that that runs across the middle of the lake. Caught most fish drifting along that or trolling raps when the wind wasn't cooperative. This is where I would start. Should be able to catch lots of fish.

I was in the MNR office today and looked at the NR camping map. Nungesser is in a green zone, which means no non resident camping is allowed. There are lakes close to there that are open to camping if you want the same area.

Lazy Mike. The Old Post is great. They treat you right food and service. Nice big cabins with lots of hot water. Fishing for walleye is really good. 75 to 100/per day/person. Only drawback is the lake has lots of rocks out of nowhere,you need to go slow and learn the lake. No real spots provided but the map does help. DrJ

Like I said in a previouse thread we have been to anglers kingdom ten seasons in a row, We can afford to go fishing any were we want at least once per year.My brother and I have brought our sons and our sister to AK and have had a good experiace with Kevin or any of his staff. We have also fished with kevin several times with out chargh. Its also my experiance that you can catch hundreds of fish without a lot of effort or experiance. We also were there when it was 100 degrees every day that we were there. we fished early in the day and in the evenings, We caught seveal large pike in the 42 inch range, in 3 feet of water! Seems to me If you want to have a bad time , yor going to have a bad time. Untill we find a better deal on fishing , with top notch boats, good food, and nice people(ie Kevin and Debora Geary, We will continu to go to Anglers Kingdom.Oh ya We also return every year because of all the American freinds we see time and time again at Anglers Kindom, who just like us return year after year!!!!

If you are interested in some of the best walleye & pike fishing in Ontario. You should check out Old Post and Village on Lake St Joe. They run the Lund Outfitters w/ 50hp and the rates are even more reasonable than AK. St Joe is a very special lake and is allocated tags for NR fisherman, it keeps the fishery better than any I know of that can be reached without flying. I have alot of guests that truely enjoy there walleye/pike trips on Lake St Joseph. Very neat camp with alot of Northern history.

I know in 2008 Kevin was on the out with a bad tooth and neck problems. He had a hard time the first few months June 1 out. Not excusing him but he is a good guy and very laid back. He also has a dry humor so when he says "the lake" when you ask him where to fish he is just giving you crp. He will also tell you "the lip" when you ask where to catch fish and crp like that. I have been going 5 years in a row and have got my PB pike every year and so have my buddies. This year we have to tag a 50" for my friend and a 47" for me to beat the PB pike for us both. To say the pike fishing is great is an understatement. JMO but the place is very nice from what I can compare it to in Canada and the boats and motors are the best I have EVER seen or heard about. How many places can you stay where you get an 18' Lund V boat (w/casting decks) with a 50h 4-stroke Honda? Plus the walleyes think they are bass half the time and will hit about anything you throw.

Worth the trip IMO if you are looking for big pike and a lot of walleye.

James

Here is my buddies last years big girl:

obj4755geo1903pg17p17.png

Anglers Kingdom is an excellent camp with a great staff. I have known Kevin for well over fifteen years. I have seen him mark many maps including mine and have never known him not mark a map. Of course I have never heard him tell anybody to fish in thirtyfeet of water. Kevin wants people to catch fish and have a good time so they will want to come back.I like the other posts on this site have recieved excellent service.

Hi everyone

I’ve been busy opening camp and dealing with over a foot of snow while doing it. Anybody that owns a camp or has actually been to one during such an occurrence knows how much work that entails. It doesn’t double the amount of work it probably quadruples it. Having it arrive during opening weekend makes it especially sweet. I took the time to go over the map and share fishing information with each and every guest I have in camp. It worked too. Have had a bunch of 28 inch plus walleye with one over 30 inches and some 47 inch pike already. Even after a severe cold front. Surprisingly the were “ in the water “ and they were caught by “ the lip”.

Thank you to everyone who had a kind word to say.

Reelhappy I’ll see you in a few weeks, thanks again. Reelhappy spends 10-12 weeks with us each year.

Hi Jimmy see you soon, thanks as well. Jimmy usually comes up twice a year.

Gruntsloors thanks see you soon ( several over 47 inches yesterday)

You will hit it just right. 50 is a real possibility this years especially in your “secret” spot.

Anglers Kindgom is (I believe) the newest fishing lodge built in Ontario and one of only a handful built in the past 25 years. In just a few short years (and thru economic hard times) I have developed a good solid core group of much appreciated and loyal guests.

I don’t feel I’m out of line to say to those reading that if you really want to see what kind of service we provide at Angler’s Kingdom come on up and see for yourself. You are cordially invited to “come on up” and enjoy some good old fashioned northern hospitality and outstanding fishing. (some of the best in Ontario)

See you on the water

Kevin Geary

Owner of Angler’s Kindgom

I know that there is a great fishery there and great services. I know that there alot of great fisheries available as well. Sounds like you are knowledged about a lot of lakes, I look forward to having you sharing about all the great fisheries you have been on and help the members here find the differnt trips they are looking for.

to james walleye

getting back to your original question.

I don't know which camp you are visiting and it doesn't really matter. Obviously as the owner of Anglers Kingdom I'm hoping that you are visiting with us or will do so in the future.

regardless please visit my HSOforum

there are a bunch of articles on pike fishing, some specifically talking about pike fishing in august.

If you have back issues of midwest outdoors I have several articles on mid summer walleye fishing.

However here is some brief comments.

Walleye are very plentiful in Nungesser.

good numbers and size. Most people who have fished it comment that it is the best walleye lake they've ever encountered.

There are literally dozens of mid lake humps and hundreds of points that are extemely productive. I prefer the mid lake humps. 14- 22 feet with the average being about 18 feet most days. Most of the 26-30 inchers seem to come out of about 26 feet that time of year.

everybody has their personal favourite methods however just about everything works.

When I'm with my family I use slip bobbers with minnows

every member of my family and relatives (about 12) have caught walleye over 27 inches and pike over 40 inches on slip bobbers. (largest 30 inch walleye 29 inch pike)My relatives fish only a few day per year and are "proffessional" anglers.

I prefer to fish with a 3/8 oz jig. (chartruese or orange or a combo) tipped with a shiner. I back troll and use the motor to hold the boat over a position and slowly move around a piece of structure. I put out markers to pinpoint all the features of that structure while discerning where the fish are relating to those elements. All the variables would take a considerable post to completely describe.

some people prefer trolling spinner rigs. this is a good method for covering a lot of area. A good method if you don't know the lake well. I have caught many big walleye using spinner rigs on nungesser.

for cranks, jigs or spinner blades Chartruese and Orange are the most effective colors the majority of the time. obviously other colors work.

Large crank baits are also very effective. Gramma lures, super shad raps, etc. simply troll over and around structure closer to evening seems better for cranks.

I have fished over 300 lakes across Canada and have never encountered a lake where I've so often had big WALLEYE attack small WALLEYE that I (or my guests) have had on the line. I can even recall several times when my guests have released a small walleye and it has surfaced a few minutes later (obvioulsy it didn't make it).

I've seen several big WALLEYE come up and grab those small walleye off the surface.(something which pike seldom do)

Of course literally hundreds of times each summer big pike come up and grab walleye on the line.

If we were sitting at the table with a map I could show you the exact layout of many sturctures on Nungesser. I could go on for days about fishing and interesting things encountered each year on the lake. Something that I DO OFTEN with my guests and friends at the lodge.

I have one gentleman who has emailed me many times and I've shared fishing information with him for several years and he is NOT even a guest of mine.

If you would like more detailed info or have specific questions please ask and I will do my best to help out.

I hope that you have an enjoyable and successful fishing vacation.