• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

skipping with a baitcaster

gunning

I was watching some show the other day and this guy was skipping frogs like crazy under docks and back under cover, I think it was Dean Rojas. I have never tried it, do to backlashes, so what’s the trick. Do you turn all your breaks on tighten down the tension knob and do a roll cast? It looks like it would take a little practice.

Gunning- it takes a little more than a "little" practice.. LOL.. it took me a few spools of line.. For me, I loosen my clutch(knob on reel side of the reel) and turn on more cast control. You need the reel to be able to let line out rather quick or the lure will not skip it will just die.. a lure like a frog or jig are all I attempt with a baitcaster... All other lures are skipped with spinning gear.. I can say that i can skip with the baitcaster now will little to no backlash.. But not nearly as well as I can with a spinning rod.

It can be a little tricky. I usually use a roll type cast and try to generate as much speed and power as I can to get teh bait moving fast and as close to the water as possible. This allows for skips to go further under the target. If you get the cast control/ magnets set right you will rarely backlash. I skip all sorts of plastic and jigs with baitcasters. As DD said, it is still easier to do with a spinning gear.

To eliminate a ton of backlash tape off the amount of line your gonna be using to skip. If you are starting out tape off 20ft. I can skip up to 30 to 35 ft using senkos. I have to do a couple practice swings first to get the rhythm going. The problem with skipping is that you have to be patient. Normally when i get backlashes are when I try to put the bait right back under the dock too fast without concentrating on my swing. I'm trying to work on my left hand so that if the dock is on my right side i can skip under it. The only advantage with a baitcaster vs spinning is placement and control. Its hard to do but it can be done.

I skip with almost a "pitch" style cast to begin it. Its all under hand and the bait fly through the air until the dock and then once hitting the water near or just under the dock Ill thumb the spool a little, thus bringing the bait up off the the water again and thats when your line will contact the bottom of the dock or tree limb and that just slingshots it further back. I'm only 17 and have been doing this for about 5 years. A curado is a great reel to learn with and now I rarely will even pick up a spinning rod if ever for this application. But then again I learned how to bass fish from a resort dock complex so it kinda taught itself almost grinGood luck though and yes be sure to have a few extra spools of line ready. And try to pick as calm as a day as possible to expeirement with.

I asked this same question several years ago and Im just starting to get the hang of it. The best advise is, practice. Also taping the spool was really helpful when I started. I use both a sidearm and a pitch cast to skip depending on the angles I have to work with but the side arm seems to carry more momentum and gets the baits farther back there. Spro frogs are awesome lures to learn skipping with.

Id much rather use a baitcaster for everything thats why I started trying to skip with them but I still have a spinning rod dedicated to skipping since its 100 times easier to do.