• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Countdown

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would guess the ice will be out before mid May. i would guess early May, but time will tell. The pink is secret weapon on the slower days and when you need to pull out the big one, if you use it to much, it looses its effectiveness.

17Fishman: Sorry I havent been here in awhile. We are staying at Lac Des Mille lodge. From my understanding, its on the NW side of the lake. I'm down to 52 days and already have the itch, Lemme know if you are going to the same one, it would be cool to meet an FMer in Canada, maybe have a few Blues.

Down to 43!! The good news is with opener this weekend I can take a little off my mind and at least wet some lines here. Has anyone used the Gulp! brands up there yet? Im thinking we can save a little cost by bringing that up there rather than buy the live bait. some guys have brought the saltys up there, but maybe this would be better??

19.5 days and counting. Pyrex, I think people use the Gulp! frequently there, from what I have read. It seems that some people state that it works as well as live bait. Others say that it is really close to live bait, but nothing compares to live minnows. We use non-scented twisters, i.e. Kalin's brand grubs and do really well. We still buy our share of live bait because it is nice to have it in the boat. I would say from personal experience that live bait still outfishes the plastics 2 - 1. I like those odds.

25 Days!!! Some of the guys are suggesting bringing up our own crawlers, is this really necessary?? I think Lac des Mille Lacs in June you could use a bare hook. We have had some poorer luck on other lakes in the past, but always caught enough to survive. Do we really need worms?? Just curious what other opinions are.

Pyrex...I dont think you would need them - but for 10 bucks and 4 dozen crawlers its good insurance. Plus, they keep easy in the fridge and if you want you can use them when you get back. Good luck!! My countdown is 2 weeks from tomorrow night - making it as far as the Holiday inn at the falls - then hitting the water the next day...so about 14 or 15 days depending on how you count it for me laugh

17Fishman: Sorry I havent been here in awhile. We are staying at Lac Des Mille lodge. From my understanding, its on the NW side of the lake. I'm down to 52 days and already have the itch, Lemme know if you are going to the same one, it would be cool to meet an FMer in Canada, maybe have a few Blues.

Yeah, thats the same lodge my group is staying at we will have to try to connect that week. I will be driving a black Lund Fisherman.

4 days baby!!! All I need to do is hook up the boat and we're off. Hey 17Fishman, I'll be in a blue and white starcraft with the same hat on as my avatar. ( I love that hat ).Good luck to you and we'll see you up there.

Similar Island,

June 3rd is a bit early for us. From the sound of things there may be a late ice out like last year. That means big Northern is the shallows and Bass at the falls in early June. You should also have some great laker fishing. I will be up on the Manitou after mid-June. I am hoping things heat up by then.

Good luck!

Hiddenbay

How was your trip?