• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Countdown

67 days and counting till our trip to Lac des mille lacs. Judging from other posts many of you are excited also. How many days left??? Just trying to pass the time and create a little more excitement.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Hidden,

Good to see you. This year, because I'm taking my son, I had some time constraints that wouldn't allow me to go with my buddy's group to his island in South Bay. I'll be staying in Camp Manitou's Outpost Cabin up by the opening to the big lake at the north end of the Stretch. That puts me about eight miles further in, so I probably won't be fishing Esox much, but will be playing around the big lake more. I've always wanted to try Doyle Bay, Watson's Falls, etc.

Are you going to be up there?

Did you ever get into Doyle Lake, Etta, or Troutlet?

Similar Island:

I have been fishing the big lake and its bays for a long time. You need to be carefule with the big lake because it can be very dangerous just crossing it. I think I know where you are staying and that location is located close to a small falls in a bay on the south side of the stretch. I would advise you to get a good map and the best map out there today comes from a company called Trak Maps. The web site is www.trakmaps.com. Check it out and buy the map of the Manitou and the Stretch. It is large but it shows great details of bays and depths. Order this today. It costs about $35 and is worth it.

There are better falls to fish than Wastons Falls. Doyle Bay is a run and you have to know where the rocks are. I would suggest Aronson Falls in the back of Weasel Bay. This bay is located on the South side of the big lake and it is not far from Glass Bay. You will see it on the map. Some maps do not mark it as Weasel Bay however it is a great place to fish because it has everything. You can also get to Holcroft Lake in the back of the bay. That place is great for Bass.

Let me know if you already have a good map of the area and I will let you know where to go with your son. There are bays close to you that are really good and they have falls where you can catch and release a quick dozen Bass.

The big lake and its bays are big Musky territory. Some experts agree that this body of water holds a record fish. I have hooked and released many Musky up there between 48 and 52 inches. I have seen much bigger.

Talk to you soon,

Hidden,

Thanks, I found that map at Rainy Lake Sports awhile back. The Navionics Canada chip also has Manitou in High Def. It is very similar.

You're not kidding, there a a bunch of rocks just out in the middle of what seems to be nowhere. I'm always in a state of mild fear when navigating Esox & Manitou.

Been to Aronson Falls, we call it Weasel Bay. I've also heard it called Meridian Bay. I've never tried to get into Holcroft although I've been back in that shallow bay just next to it several times. I only found out recently that you could get through.

Also been to Kiminni Falls, Barker Bay, Glass Bay, and Beaverhead Narrows, but not much further. It takes awhile to get to the big lake from South Bay. It will be nice to try the Outpost Cabin which is much closer.

What do you like on the other side of Beaverhead Island?

Thanks,

Similar Island

Similar Island,

Sounds like you have been around the big lake a bit. Do you have a larger boat 18 to 20 footer? I was thinking of some good places you could take your son for some quick action. I take it he is young. Near you at the top of the stretch is Smoky Bay. It is next to Calder Bay and the shorelines in that place are great for Bass and Northern. There are also a few big Musky's in the back of Smoky. It is close to you and I would go there after 7 PM and cast for the "big guy". By the way don't forget about Flose and the lake behind it. Great for early season bass on the shorelines.

I have fished behind Beaverhead Island a bit and those rock reefs near the enterance to the big lake hold some nice Northern and Musky. In early June the shorelines are going to be good in there because it is shallow and warms up quicker than some of the other bays.

So what type of lures are you going to be using for bass?

Talk to you soon,

Hiddenbay

Hidden Bay,

I have a Lund Outfitter 1750 with a 90 Opti.

My son is 17.

Is Smoky Bay south of Calder Bay - the one with access to Phairs & Flossie through that creek?

In the Spring, I like Spinnerbaits, X-Raps, Husky jerk-baits, Rat-L-Traps, Spoons, and some jig n grubs or maybe a topwater. I figure to do more trolling as my son may get tired of casting.

The area on the Northeast end of Beaverhead Island looks pretty good on the map, but I've never seen it or fished it.

Is it worth going all the way to Doyle Bay if we're not chasing Muskies?

Where do you usually stay?

Thanks for all your tips.

Similar Island

Similar Island,

Yes, Smokey Bay is South of Calder and it is the bay that has the enterance to Phairs & Flossie. The enterance is at the Southern end of the bay. Look at your map and you will see what I mean. Very close to where you are staying. Cast the neck down at the enterance going back there. I raised the largest Musky I have ever seen back there. It had to be at least 60 inches. I also catch a lot of good size Northern all the way in the back of that bay where it curves around.

The Northeast side of Beaverhead Island is good. You have a nice size weed bed at the enterance and those rock reefs hold both Bass and Northern. In the spring the shorelines would also work well for Bass.

For spring fishing on the Manitou the hands down best bait I fish is the 5 inch Kalin "Cotten Candy" colored grub. Buy it! Make sure you also purchase the 1/4 oz. darter head jig heads for these grubs. Every year this lure has caught 100's of Bass and even a 45 inch Musky last year. All you have to do is cast it toward the shore line and bring it back with a slow retrieve. That's it! Make sure you buy a lot of them. Give it to your son. It is all he will need. My friends call it "the crack" of the Manitou because of the way all fish hit this colored grub.

A trip to Doyle Bay can be tricky the first few times. You can get lost very easily so make sure you have a good map. That being said, the fishing going up there and coming back is great. There are a ton of small bays that are fun to fish. I would start the day by running up there and then working your way back. Just go slow and have your son look for those rocks. Make sure you fish the shoreline all the way in the back of Doyle.

Let me know if you have other questions. Sounds like you have the perfect size boat for up there. I have been fishing those waters for 30 years and have tried a millon different lures. I fish all over the world and the Manitou is one of my favorite bodys of water.

Hiddenbay

Similar Island,

June 3rd is a bit early for us. From the sound of things there may be a late ice out like last year. That means big Northern is the shallows and Bass at the falls in early June. You should also have some great laker fishing. I will be up on the Manitou after mid-June. I am hoping things heat up by then.

Good luck!

Hiddenbay

Similar Island:

If you need more try Bass Pro Shops on line. They carry a good inventory. Get ready for action. Light brown tube baits with green glitter are also a good bet for the Northern in early June. Have you tried the Zara Spook up there before? This bait is fun to use for big bass.

Hiddenbay

Hidden Bay,

Thanks, I'll try the light brown tube jigs with green glitter. The only thing I don't like about tubes up there is that it seams if you don't set the hook fast enough, the northern will bite them off. And if you use a leader, it ruins the action.

I do like Spooks and enjoy walking the dog on a nice calm morning on the "Tou".

I think my favorite is when they're hitting my home made 1/2 oz single spin spinnerbaits with a #5 Nickel Colorado blade. They seem to catch either large bass or northerns and it's so easy to get the northerns off the hook. I love tossing them under the laydowns or as far back into a woody/weedy bay as I can, then watch those huge swirls and that "V" headed right toward it.

I usually put Kalen's Salt & Pepper grubs as trailers, but now I'll have to try the Cotton Candy grubs.

Man I can't wait to get up there!

Similar Island

PS Sorry guys, I guess we're sort of hijacking this thread.

Ok Similar - you set yourself up for this one!

As one fellow fisherman helping out another I expect you to leave us a few of those home made spinnerbaits on the kitchen table at the outpost for when we get there the day

you leave :-)

We will try them out and then send a money order back to KC with the amount dependant upon how many and what size fish we catch!!

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh Mark,

We may have to make some kind of a trade - maybe for some "Blue". I've spent many a night on the "Tou" teaching my cabin mates how to put together spinnerbaits. Of course, it gets harder to put the blades on with every "Blue"!

OK Mark,

But who's going to ref this deal? Matt? Superbee? Hidden Bay? What about Cedar Narrows? We'd need to have someone we could trust not to drink the Blue. I'm not sure we could trust any of these guys not to drink the Blue!

Similar Island

well...how about I take a picture of every smallie over 19?

Now, of course you would have to trust me on this - but believe me if I catch one over 19 - I will certainly take a pic!!

I am good for the Blue....Believe it or not - I quit the blue about 9 years ago...I am just a Diet Coke guy now. However, I still can buy some to send to KC!

I still go to canada each Fall with my colllege buddies who drink enough Blue for me - and for about 20 other guys.

Heres another idea. We have a gentlemans bet where we each pick one evening during the stay for say 3 hours. During that time you have to catch and record on photo your biggest fish. It could start a outpost tradition for all the outpost campers. lets say the evening of the first full day there - weather permitting.

Biggest fish either gets to keep a few spinner baits or gets some blue in the mail :-) and some kind of plaque of honor on the outpost wall.

OK Mark, sounds like a deal. And I'll leave a couple of spinnerbaits on the kitchen table anyway.

As for the Blues, I'll have one or two at night, but I'm usually out early and the first one up making the coffee. Something about a perked cup of coffee out by the dock in the morning is hard to beat.

Similar Island