• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

easter break fishing.

thursday- took my teacher and his grandson to my spot. alot of fish moving. very few feeders. eventually managed to hook him up with one nice one

his first carp of the year

101_0202.jpg

friday- windy and cold, caught some small fish. nothing special. tried at night for bowfin since they should be outside spawning areas by now. nada

saturda- went out. had many problems with travel due to some of the flooding around the streams

eventually i got down there. almost immediatly landing this nice white sucker

101_0210.jpg

i noticed something was wrong with her left eye. it was sunken in and there was this weird, hard, caviar like fungus growing out of it

101_0208.jpg

i reached in to get my scale and realized i forgot it on the shelf on my bench.

so i releasedher and kept fishing

shortly after i hooked up with this beauty

101_0204.jpg

fishing slowed i didnt catch any until almost dark

101_0223.jpg'

shortly after her i got another fiesty female

101_0225.jpg

i seen a familiar fish that i caught 2 years ago at 5 lbs now she is almost 18 if not bigger

this is her 2 years ago

she was trapped in the crick due to low water and was basically starving

DSCF0089-1.jpg

DSCF0085-1.jpg

as the sun set many fish began to feed. but it was starting to get to dark to see. i noticed many big fish some that would break my pb.. but since i didnt have a scale i didnt want to catch any of them. i did snap a picture of a low 20 that was feeding right next to shore (for reference the water is 2 to 2 1/2 feet deep there and her tail was breaking the surface and she wasnt even tailing like normal (45 to 60 degree angle as you can see

101_0218.jpg

eventually i caught one more fish. a deformed little guy. (look at that gill plate!)

101_0230.jpg

there is definatly something wrong with le homme dieus carp. i have already caught over 10 different fish with some kind of deformity

I think the carp you show with the growth on it has carp pox. See below for details.

About Carp Pox

Carp Pox (sometimes called Fish Pox) is mainly is seen in Carp and related species like Goldfish and Koi.

It is thought that fish pox is mainly caused by a species specific virus like the Cyprinid herpes virus 1, or CyHV-1.

The disease begins as small, opal white spots with a waxy appearance and sometimes with streaks of black pigment. These spots stand above the skin about 1-2 mm and gradually increase in size. The spots merge so that large areas of skin are affected. This virus tends to show itself during the winter and early spring, especially in young fish kept outdoors. Despite appearances, carp pox is thought to be harmless, though it can be passed to other fishes. The lumps usually disappear as the weather gets warmer.

This is a virus and so there is no known treatment for this. If the affected fish are kept in clean, healthy surroundings the signs should disappear after 2-3 months. They may appear again but this is unlikely with healthy fish.

Retrieved from "http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Carp_Pox"

I think the carp you show with the growth on it has carp pox. See below for details.

About Carp Pox

Carp Pox (sometimes called Fish Pox) is mainly is seen in Carp and related species like Goldfish and Koi.

It is thought that fish pox is mainly caused by a species specific virus like the Cyprinid herpes virus 1, or CyHV-1.

The disease begins as small, opal white spots with a waxy appearance and sometimes with streaks of black pigment. These spots stand above the skin about 1-2 mm and gradually increase in size. The spots merge so that large areas of skin are affected. This virus tends to show itself during the winter and early spring, especially in young fish kept outdoors. Despite appearances, carp pox is thought to be harmless, though it can be passed to other fishes. The lumps usually disappear as the weather gets warmer.

This is a virus and so there is no known treatment for this. If the affected fish are kept in clean, healthy surroundings the signs should disappear after 2-3 months. They may appear again but this is unlikely with healthy fish.

Retrieved from "http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Carp_Pox"

thanks for that.

just one question, that is a white sucker, not a carp. does that matter?

i have seen some carp with milky white, smooth growths on fins, can u figure out what this may be? ill try and catch one with some on it to show what it looks like up close.

The sucker and carp are in the same family along with the Koi so I think it is probably the same thing. I am not a expert in this just something I found on the web. There is a something like this also that effects walleyes/saugers that I have seen. Seems to be aggravated by the cold water and makes the warts bigger.

The sucker and carp are in the same family along with the Koi so I think it is probably the same thing. I am not a expert in this just something I found on the web. There is a something like this also that effects walleyes/saugers that I have seen. Seems to be aggravated by the cold water and makes the warts bigger.

you are correct on the coldwater part, but carp and suckers are NOT in the same family. carp and koi are one in the same species, and belong to the family Cyprinidae. Native suckers in Minnesota belong to the Family Catostomidae, including the white sucker.