• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Food source of early season SE Minnesota Toms

Cove

With last Fall's turkey hunt fresh on my mind, I went out scouting yesterday in preparation for the April 15 1st season opener. Did not hear or see any signs of birds, feathers, droppings where they were last October. I have to figure out where the flock(s) are. I knew soybeans were long gone, but what are they feeding on this time of year?

Also, some of the land I hunt is high land but then drops fast, then has fairly broad, flat "flood plane" right along the river. What are the odds the turkeys are down low? I always think of up to, field edges etc.

I'm sure some of the alfalfa fields that far south are starting to green up. I would start my search there. Up here in the metro area I think they are feeding more in the woods than in the fields.

Check any fields that are being plowed up now as they may be showing grubs and insects.

Good luck Wednesday!

Thanks. Good comments. Had not thought of the plowed earth / grub idea. Locals have not been seeing the birds out in the fields yet so may be still in the woods more, but the weather is warmning rapidly and things will change.