• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Found and picked my first Morels right afer work today. Picked about 25 yellows in the south metro. Right near a dead elm. I found them all in one patch. These were all on a small NORTH facing slope. I figured and search far and wide on a south slope but didn't find any there. I was just about to give up again when sure enough there one was. All found within 30ft of each other. I was on a time constraint to get home, so I had to cut my search short from there. I fried up and tried my first morels in butter just a few minutes ago, and all I can say is YUM. I won't be able to check the spot again until next Monday or Tuesday, so hopefully there will still be some there. I am headed up north to my cabin on a fishing trip. Friday night is grilling night. I have a bunch left to go with steaks. Is there a way to keep these good until then, or should I just eat them all now?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen!!!If your gonna be gone that long,tell me where you found them and Ill watch that spot for you so no one gets them while yer gone wink.You can dry those shrooms but,I usually just eatem while their fresh.They will keep for some time in the fridge,I just put them in the fridge in a paper bag,not plastic

Well i finaly went out looking tonight and this is what i found

100_0367.jpg

There are 20 morels one buck skull one doe skull and an old hacksaw with out a blade i didnt figure it was to bad for my first look of the season

I went out after work and found only about 8. It seemed like it was a little dry because there wasn't that many and it sure was hard to find the ones I did and the ones I found were a little dry on the top. I hope this rain does something for them and the temps next week should get the huge ones up I would think.

Jerkin'm thanks again for telling me about the ramps, they were so good. I too found them near the bottom of a valley type woods on a more shaded side hill. They were all where all the dutchman breeches were growing in really lose black soil. Not trying to go off track here but they are a treasure to find.

So I just got off the phone with my parents who are down in SE MN and they went out this morning and found at least 5# of giant morels in 20 min in one spot. Wish I would have gone down with them, hope their still there next weekend. They took some pics of some of the big ones and I will have to see if I can figure out a way to get them up.

Nice leeks! 'shroom hunters consolation prize?

I need to get out this weekend. Got my first mushrooms on Thursday, it was pretty cool! Big props to my guide who shall remain nameless. Now I just have to go out and find my own spots!