• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see you're form Chaska which put us in the same general area. I too am anxious to get out there. But I think it's a bit early yet. The soil temp has to get up there. If find the Lilac rule of thumb works well for me. Once they're getting ready to bloom is a great time to really start the hard-core hunt. Couple of weeks and they'll be starting to pop!

Dennis, typically one won't see any morels until the datime temps average around 60 plus and the nightime temps come up to at least 50-55.

Another good way to know when its time is when the Lilac's start to bloom. We also need to have good ground moisture for a good season of picking.

If you have time this spring, we can hook up and do some hunting.

You know my number.

An old timer once said "when the poplar buds are big as squirrel ears"

Otherwise i go with lilacs or trilliums blooming, usually right around mother's day/opener in the grand rapids area. i really miss morels on the north shore and will probably be making a special weekend trip to seek some out.mmmmmmmmmmm

A friend of ours in the Cities reports that his Lilacs just put out leaves about 1/4 to 1/2 the size of a Mouses ear...the small Maple next to them did not break bud...but the big Maples and Cottonwoods 200 feet away did...

Better start to get some rain though or it's all for naught... frown

He also saw 1st Hornet for '09...

It's still a couple of weeks before I'll think about looking, it's just too early yet. The rhubarb just poked through this this week and the asparagus hasn't started up yet. If we don't get any rain, I'll be scouring dried up creeks and such then.

Nate - Thanks for the info. I guess we'll have to see what the rain does. Never looked for them in the past but would like to cook with some since they are supposed to be delicious.

I will be checking some of my hot spots from last year this weekend. I'm not expecting too much yet but I'll be out of the country on vacation for a week starting next Thursday so I want to get some huntin' in before I'm gone. Hopefully I don't miss the best part of the season, But I think it will be peaking around Southern Minnesota right around Walleye opener. It's supposed to get cooler and stay cooler for a while starting this weekend.

We are getting rained on up here after today, it sounds like it will last a few days so that will help out, Ahh I can't wait much longer and I don't think I'll have to if the extended forecast pans out. By next week I'll be out looking for 'em.

Hey guys lilacs are when they are at there peak of the growing season,same goes for the bass bight!There are plenty of other times when they are coming up, i like to keep my eye for dandilions when ya start seeing them there will be some grays around ,they can be tough to spot but just go slow, i like southeast facing hillsides steep ones where the leaves arent arent to thick .As for mushrooms growing bigger they dont when they come up there as big as there gonna be they might stand up a little straighter after a little time thats it.Please use the mesh bag so the spores can get back to the earth some guy s think this is bunk but it is not,the best way to explain em is they are like dust invisible to the naked eye you need a microscope to actually see them , also it takes 5 years before a spore becomes a mushroom!Unless they are burnt or flooded there survival mechanism will kick in and they will pop sooner thats why out west after forest fires there are tons of em! Some people think they have to dry before spores escape but they are continously giving them off from when they pop up to when they dry up and blow with the wind.

Morels are a tricky fungus, that's why they haven't been "domesticated" so to speak like some other mushrooms have. They are mysterious buggers!!!! But they get me into tick infested woods every year looking for them, as well as thousands of other folks.