• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Purple finches in morning light

finnbay

I'm not the expert, but the first two photos say purple finch to me. The eyebrow on the female, and the coloring on the male look right. I have a few now, too. Nice photos, particularly the first two. I am hosting female white wing crossbills for the last two days. Did you guys have a cone crop failure up there? They are eating at the feeders for long stretches.

Ken, nice images!

Birdsong, we've had big numbers of white-winged and red crossbills up here all winter (more w-w than reds), but so far none of them have been at my feeders. We have mature spruce/pine trees in around our yard, and they've been in and out of those trees feeding on the cones, but not once have they come down for sunflower seeds.

I think that's because we've got an abundant cone crop and there's plenty of their usual food for them.

Maybe the ones you've got aren't finding cones to gobble.

Birdsong, we've had big numbers of white-winged and red crossbills up here all winter (more w-w than reds), but so far none of them have been at my feeders. We have mature spruce/pine trees in around our yard, and they've been in and out of those trees feeding on the cones, but not once have they come down for sunflower seeds.

I think that's because we've got an abundant cone crop and there's plenty of their usual food for them.

Maybe the ones you've got aren't finding cones to gobble.

Hmmm. That's why I asked. The local bird guru says we do get occasionals in the winter in Lyon and Lincoln County, even a rare nesting if they are very late to come through in the spring, I guess, but I have never seen one in my yard before, and probably have only seen one or two out birding. He also was very surprised to hear they were here. I thought your cone crop may have sent them our way. Probably just some of the nomads heading back your way again and haven't found their food of choice in abundance. I am certainly enjoying having something different around!