• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

We're getting a dog! Need crate suggestions (see inside)

The Yeti

Does anyone know if there is a crate (kennel) out there that you can adjust as your dog grows? Or would I have to buy a "puppy sized" crate and then buy a bigger one as the dog reaches full size? The breeders dog just had her litter last monday. Golden retrievers. Most dogs that we have seen from this breeder average between 40-50 pounds. The size is what brought us there.

I prefer the quality of the Vari Kennel brand. They can be more expensive than other kennels, but they are extremely durable. I would buy the size that would fit your dog when he/she is full grown. They sell dividers that you can use to make the kennel more appropriate for your puppy. You can also make your own divider with a cardboard box, assuming your puppy won't chew on it!

I ended up buying a cheap, small kennel for my puppy, and he only used it for the first few months. Then I put him in the Vari Kennel. This may be another option for you.

If you type in Vari Kennel in an internet search, you will find several retailers, so you should be able to do some price shopping and get a pretty good deal. I think I got mine through Drs. Foster & Smith catalog at www.drsfostersmith.com

Yeti,

Get the size that the dog will grow in to. Then just get a plastic milk crate or cardboard box to section off a portion of it so the pup can't get into too much mischief.

I went through this with a lab that is now 5 months old and I started her in an extra large crate. At first we put a cardboard box in with her but that got shredded which led to the plastic milk crate which worked great.

As far as which crate to get - get one that disassembles easily. Check out the Petsmate deluxe vs. standard and you'll quickly see the difference between the deluxe connectors and the standard screw connectors.

wormfood

I used to use Vari-kennels for years but have since switched to Nyla-bone folding crates. They are nice! They feature a door that opens either way, carry handle on top, folds flat to store in the garage out of the way, and is still plastic for easy clean-up. Fleet farm sells them.

Good Luck! Ken

I would get the one that will fit the dog full grown, I used to put a cooler or storage bin in there with them. They like a little more confined space when they are young, makes them feel more secure. This also allows them to get up off the floor if they do happen to make a "mess" in thier kennel.

[This message has been edited by setterguy (edited 08-17-2004).]

"Yoe!!! Yeti, what it be like homeboy?"

Just let the dog run aound in your truck, it has plenty of room!

How do you think Hannah is going to react to the new arrival?

You are really going to have to fence your yard in now! See you tommarrow.