• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anybody have a portable sawmill?

overdalimit

Anybody out there have a portable sawmill? I am just finishing building one from plans I bought online and I was wondering if I am the only one to attempt this or if others have done this before me and if so were the happy with the results?

Anybody out there have a portable sawmill? I am just finishing building one from plans I bought online and I was wondering if I am the only one to attempt this or if others have done this before me and if so were the happy with the results?

A friend of mine bought one a few years back. I am totally amazed at what they can do.

My dad does this - he's been doing it for 20 years now with a Woodmizer portable sawmill. He's really happy with it and has piles of lumber all over the place.

If you wanna get in contact with him for questions or anything, send me an email (josh at trutwins.homeip.net) and I'll get you more details. Or if you prefer call 612-242-8753.

Josh

It is a band mill. The plans were 30 bucks and I have to say that the guy who made them could have added some literature to go with them. I had to do some inventing to say the least. I wanted a saw that would handle a 30 inch log and I think it ended up being about a 28 inches between the saw guides. I now have to learn how to use it and I am sure that there will be modifications necessary to work the bugs out. I like to work with wood when I am not fishing or working so I decided to try my hand a building a sawmill. Long and short of it is that it was not as easy as it looked at first but now that I am done I would not be afraid to do it again and I know I would make some changes to the plans I bought. Total cost so far including machine work is right in the $2600.00 range. I will try and take some pics and post them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.