• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lac Seul ice out

Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere this year, but I have not seen it mentioned. Anyone have any info on the ice conditions? We are headed up to Birch Narrows for the 3rd year(for opener) and hoping it is not like the hell we went through last year. Thank you in advance for any info!

Lots of ice and there is still snow on the ice. They are still driving trucks up there with out any worries. It doesn't look like the ice will be out at its normal time. If I had to guess, it would be around opener, but things can change fast once the weather warms up

With the opener being the 16th this year and hearing all the stories about ice and snow up there, I would guess it might go out after opener this year. Good Luck, I wouldn't want to have a trip booked at opener this year with the way the conditions are right now. (april 10)

I wouldnt start to worry yet, opener is over a month a way. Dryden has lots of snow yet. The temps are below freezing at night with above freezing temps during the day. Heard on the radio earily next week the lows are suppose to be above freezing with chance of rain.

I am in Kenora Ontario, and wanted to say that there's still tons of ice,, in fact it hasn't "lifted" yet,, we're still icefishing, and I'm sure the guys are still driving on the ice with their trucks,, we're having a real warm spell the last few days, the snow is finally starting to fade away,, woohoo!!

I found a satellite photo on another thread that is updated daily. If the clouds aren't to bad, you can see Lac Seul. Right now it looks pretty ice locked but some areas of open water are starting to appear. I'll keep watching and post if there is a change.

Took a look at the satellite photo from yesterday, looks like most of the southern portion of the lake near Deception Bay is ice free. Unfortunately, the main lake still looks ice locked. Only 5 days til opener. It's going to be close.

Hey Spook, can you post the link to the satallite source page, or shoot it to me as a PM?

We're not headed to Chamberlin Narrows until 20 June, so the only ice we worry about is in the beer cooler, but being a techno-junkie I'd love to be able to see how the season is unfolding.

Lakeside -

Tried to PM you but it won't let me. I'm not sure if it is against the rules but here is the link.

http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/

I checked it today and it appears more of the lake is starting to open. A guy in our group called up to Ken and Brenda to get an update. Ken and the boys are out trying to break a path open to the camp.

We leave Friday morning. I sure hope that we don't have to go through what we did last year.

Hey Dan - What's with the later dates? Kids summer activities schedules? Our group has changed dates (and lakes for that matter) to accomodate school and sports schedules over the 22 years we have been doing our trips. Always worthwhile.

I'll certainly send you a note after our trip this year. I don't think we say you last year at the end of our trip. Take a look at the pictures starting at http://www.whitefishdesigns.com/albums/V6/2008V6/DSCN5065.html .Even for Lac Seul it was an amazing day.

Good luck!

Spook - Thanks for the link! Amazing images.

Good luck with your trip out to camp. We heard the tales and saw the video of last years adventure. I'll bet you don't want to repeat this year!

The picture was indeed taken on a trip to Chamberlin Narrows, but not on the first island to teh south (I know just where you are thinking) it was north of camp. Kind of a spot on a spot on a spot place that we discovered one day, and now visit every year.

Flew over Lac Seul today. Tons of ice. Certain sections have open water but the main basin has lots of ice. I basically flew the west end heading north and after I made my runs checking our lakes out flew south over the east half.