• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Metro Carp

sanka

Sanka, were you at the same spot yesterday? I was at Nokomis yesterday afternoon (at a totally differnt spot), and tied into a couple decent carp on the ol' ultralight. One was in the 7-8 pound range, the other was considerably bigger. Probably low teens. Unfortunately, the batteries in my scale died at some point over the winter... so I'll never know. Nothing like hearing that drag buzzing away for minutes at a time. They are definitely turned on right now.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears that the Carp on right now...the question is, when they are on as much as they are, do the weather fronts still effect them? I am hoping to get out tomorrow afternoon when the weather clears a little. (According to the weather guru's) but with this front coming thru, is it worth the try?

I got my PB carp last Saturday under similar cold, windy conditions on a day I didn't expect to get anything. Granted it was a little slower than normal but there were still fish to be had. Anytime you can go fishing is the right time, and if the bite is on you should expect some action.

Went out on lower Penn this morning. Carp were really active and jumping constantly. Right away I hooked into two really nice ones, both yanked out drag for a solid 10 seconds, then spit my #4 hook and corn. So I switched to a #6 and caught four smaller carp (1-4 lbs) over the next few hours, with a few bullhead mixed in.

Went out on Nokomis this morning. Sat there for about 3 hours in a little protected bay on the west side, but didn't even get a bite. Moved over to my normal spot on the east side, took a nice 20-30mph wind to the face. Within 30 minutes I landed 3 nice carp. All around 25". Great fighting on 6lb line.

I was out today. They're still jumping all over the shallows, but I couldn't hook one today. A guy just down the bank had better luck than I did though and at least got one.

Anyone had any carp luck lately in the metro? I've been out all week and haven't gotten a thing. I've seen them jumping all over the shallows, but can't get them to bite. Tried crawlers, corn, bread balls and premade carp dough. Nothing. The bullheads sure like all of them though.

Went down to Black Dog today, got one pretty good catfish 3-4lbs. Then I shot up to Nokomis and finally pulled something bigger than a football out of there. This one went 31"x18", about 12-13 lbs.

P1080104Medium.jpg

Fished a few hundred yards below the Coon Rapids Dam today. Landed 14 carp in about 2 hours. Gave about 50lbs of them to a Hmong family down the bank. They wouldn't bite on worms at all, but loved the sweet corn today.

The offshoot by Cenaiko. Was out there again today. Only managed 5 smaller carp. Landed the last football sized one while being attacked by a goose. That was interesting.

I was out tonite and found the Carp super active in the shallow weeds. I didn't have corn as I planned to go for northern but I couldn't hook a thing besides a Carp scale :-)

I was trying with worms and a twister tail jig.

I have never targeted carp before but I think I'm going to start fishing the river as I'm sick of the lakes around here.

Sanka, when you use sweet corn doesn't it fall off the hook? I have been targeting Channels in lakes nearby lately with cut bait and haven't had the best of luck. I might try going for some carp but don't know a lot about it. My catfish set up right now is a simple egg sinker set up, with an egg sinker then a barrel swivel, then a 2 foot mono-leader and a circle hook. Do you have a somewhat similar set up for targeting carp?

Awesome! I just bought some bait holder hooks in one of those two sizes (I forget which). I was going to put that on since my circle hook is a little bit and throw on maybe a 2 oz. river sinker. Me and my cousin are going to be heading out to the Mississippi river tomorrow (not sure where yet, all I know is it will be in Pool 2. Any suggestions???) to catch anything. I have some cut bullies I'm going to bring, I am also going to grab some sweet corn, and maybe even some crawlers and hope to catch anything that swims!