• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Metro Carp

sanka

I've been looking for carp in the local metro lakes all week. I got some cheap carp bait in a bargain bin, but hadn't gotten anything yet at Lake of the Isles or the channel between Isles and Cedar. Today I went over to Lake Nokomis and tried again. Nothing for an hour on the carp bait. Switched to sweet corn and within ten minutes I hooked up with a 23". I hooked another shortly after, but it broke off. Not the line, it actually broke the hook in half (weird!). I also got another that was 25.5". Only 7-8 lbs, but a heck of a lot of fun on 6lb line.

p1070616medium.jpg

p1070654medium.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone has suggestions on spots or lakes, please share. I've never targeted carp before this season, so I'll take any location advice you have. I've got the carp bug now.

Lake marion little fishing pier by the 35w channel. Its loaded right now whit some real big ones too. They were real spooky but you can catch them. We were fishing the backwaters for crappie a week ago and the carp were everywhere back there.

I'm quite a bit farther north than you fellas but there are a few lakes around my area with a decent carp population, a question I have for you is, when fishing with corn or worms for that matter, do you have trouble with the panfish stealing the bait all of the time. I know on the lake I'm wishing on fishing them there are a ton of panfish. And is it best right after ice out to try and catch a few or is it better during the summer.

Phalen and Como also has some decent fish but they weed up quick so early in the year is the best time to target them. Gervais has some pigs but usually dont get them till its 90 and sunny. Maybe thats because thats the only time I target them there its a good lake to wade in. I seen the shoreline lined with people this weekend at spoon the 6 inch Crappies must be going.

Nokomis eh? Hmm- maybe I'll have to try there.

Does anyone know of any smaller ponds that hold a lot of carp? IE where carp are the dominant species; you see them in large schools and jumping all over the place?

I used to know of two, but both seem very fished out now.

Does anyone know of any smaller ponds that hold a lot of carp? IE where carp are the dominant species; you see them in large schools and jumping all over the place?

I used to know of two, but both seem very fished out now.

I think you answered your own ? with that last sentance. I don't think anybodys giving out their honey holes. Not in the forum anyways.

Tried out Normandale today. In the channel under the dam there were several 10+ lb carp swimming around but they wanted nothing to do with anything I threw at them. Also saw several nice 6-7lb pike in there.

I've been out a few times no luck Sat or Sun finally got into some again today. Sorry not giving spots though. I walk the shore looking for active fish always have a pair of polarized glasses on. Look for bubbles, swirls or tails. Seems the shallower bodys of water seem to be more active. Out of 2 lakes I have nearly 30 fish on the year so far. Neither of these waters are over 4 ft deep. You just have to scout. Feeding the ducks hand fulls of corn helps too.

Was out on Nokomis today. Carp were jumping the whole time I was out there, but I couldn't hook one on corn. Noticed some guys farther down the bank caught at least one. All I got was a half dozen big fat bullheads.

P1070831Medium.jpg