• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weighing a big Cat properly

JimBuck

I've been searching around for a scale that I can weigh some of the larger fish that happen to make there way onto the floor of my boat this year. I've looked at quite a few options and one thing that I have a problem with is hanging these fish by a small hook in order to get a proper weight. It just doesn't seem healthy for the fish. I was wondering what others do for a safe and accurate weight of a larger fish? Does anyone lug a household scale into the boat? Use a net? Magic? I'm curious how people properly weigh and release a bigger cat without doing harm to these awesome animals.

I have that formula printed out and sitting in the boat, handy tool. I've just always thought that once those big girls reach 40+ lbs. it can vary? I haven't had the chance to haul in something of that size but if/when it does...I'd like to be prepared. wink

I mentioned this before, but I think I might try bringing a bathroom scale out in the boat and try that.

Those 50lb fish are super hard to weigh no matter with net, bag, sling or whatever. I had enough trouble to know that if I was to ever catch a monster over 60 I'd want alternative means to weigh it.

Any yes the formula will vary, but at the same time will get you in the ballpark.

Please Video Tape the Weighing of a 50 plus pound Flathead while balancing on a bathroom scale in a Boat. grin

Yes that should be interesting. grin

On my trips to the James we weighed about a dozen blue cats from 40-54 pounds in the net without any trouble. What sort of problems were you having Darren?

Originally Posted By: RAB
What sort of problems were you having Darren?

MMMM... I'm gonna say boat size and lay out...

yeah, just not enough space. I had to stand on the middle seat to get the fish high enough off the ground. Then my scale only works right if the hook is plumb. Just a bunch of things working against each other.

Originally Posted By: dtro
Originally Posted By: hanson

Muscle weakness? grin

MVI_0185_0003_0001.jpg

HAHA that is funny right there!

Lifting with his strongest muscle? grin

Originally Posted By: hanson

Muscle weakness? grin

MVI_0185_0003_0001.jpg

So we're pecking on the bloody chicken in the coop 'eh? grin That is some funny laughs there. If we can start a grassroots charity here in the forum I'll be more than willing to throw acouple bucks into it....something Like Save Hanson's Seed Foundation. I vote with our funds we get the poor fellows a gimbal belt for their owner laugh.

Ya, they do work slick smile! Very well built!

I got 3 on sale last year and could not pass them up. I forgot I had this one still untill the other day when I was going threw my boat stuff. I got the one for Dtro and the other for a buddy of mine and he never picked it up. I called him the other day and he is short on funds because of a lay-off. So, I figured I would see if any FM'ers want a deal grin