• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reel Advice

I fell in love with the low profiles last year when I tried out the Curado. I still use 400 series round Shimanos and 400 Okumas for some applications but find myself more and more with the low pro's in my hands for more and more things. For our style of fishing the Curado has been the missing link in my aresenal during fast drifts and working gliders and DBL 10's. I have thrown Dawgs on it and it does great and it works great for ripping DDD's and Jakes. The only thing I wouldn't do with it is troll. I guess its all personal preference some guys love the low pros some will never use them.

Then again what do I know I still love my Corsairs that most think of as junk.

WOW......can't believe so many anti Abu guys on here. I can tell you this much. I have had no problems with my Garcia's, other than the obvious required maintenance. One of my reels is the first Garcia my dad bought back in the late 70's, and though now a backup reel, it works everytime it is called upon. Have had excellent service from the factory, and see no other reason to switch to different reels.

I have bought other reels through the years and I can tell you without a doubt the biggest pieces of junk that I have put in my boat have been Shimano's. While not the calcutta's, other models have just plain sucked and I wouldn't give you a wooden nickel for those reels. Had a Coarsair that didn't last its first time out. Won't go down that road again.......

Yes, it is the Ford vs Chevy debate, and while every one can make a lemon, it comes down to personal choice more than anything.

I love the Abu's, unfortunately they require a bit of care and an extra pawl in the boat, I just got a few ceramics so we'll see how well they hold up.

Ive found the key with them is to take the tension off the line when you engage them to me this was sorta second nature and keep them clean; don't let the junk build up in the level wind.

By doing this Ive had some 6500,s last 10 years with just cleaning and no parts (save the pawl), I have an old bushed 6500 that has held up like a tank till last year but its gotta be a mid 90's reel, I think I got it at Reeds on a blow out for 29 or 39 bones.

I like the TE and Lunas as well, Ive used them a few times but have a friend that has problems in the cold and if water gets into the reel.

Go with an older 7000 and redo the bearings (Abec7's) drag (smoothies) level wind (bearing) drag grease and good oil so you can keep the weights off and a new pawl. You'll be in for under a buck fiddy, keep it clean and you wont need more than one extra but you need that no matter what kind of reel, I only trust Chinkadink construction so far.

I love Abu's as well... Especially the older model 7000's. The last 5 years have yielded a 5 gallon bucket full of tore up newer model 7000's. If I could use one reel without the hassle it would be a 7000. I love the pick up, the handle, the size, everything... I just wish the new models had the old durability.

I agree shimano's budget priced reels can often turn sour quickly. With Shimano, you get what you pay for - In many instances price wise, it's go big or go home!

There are a lot of other great reels out there - Avet, Daiwa, Penn, Tica, the list goes on and on.

One thing we need to do in numbers is petition Avet to do a level wind reel "Made in America" just the way I like it..I like those reels allot I just hate the line piling up, I think I'll get one for trolling this year to set next to the 309.

A level wind would be nice, however the last couple of seasons I used The Trinidads and learned quickly it's all bout Line - Line shape, line tension, and stacking the line on the sides of the spool first when winding on. I didn't have one bad incident last season, but a couple years ago, I had a pretty bad line stack jam the spool after a quick strike on a bomb cast. It was a pain. I got a couple Avets, and a Shimano Torsa this year. The Torsa is a tad bit bulky, but I've been really considering lever drags over stars lately. In all applications.

This is great input guys......I just bought an 8'6" Musk Innovations rod at the expo and I think I'm going to put at St Croix Avid Reel on it. Not sure if I should put on AC 250 or AC 300? Using for DCG, Bulldogs, Dunwright LifeLike Swimmers, etc.

I have the St. Croix 300 and works great for crank baits and bulldogs but not DCG...I would look at a PENN, or Shimano for DCG reel. You will likely burn out the St. Croix reel on DCG.

Originally Posted By: St_Croix_Banks
This is great input guys......I just bought an 8'6" Musk Innovations rod at the expo and I think I'm going to put at St Croix Avid Reel on it. Not sure if I should put on AC 250 or AC 300? Using for DCG, Bulldogs, Dunwright LifeLike Swimmers, etc.

I have the St. Croix 300 and works great for crank baits and bulldogs but not DCG...I would look at a PENN, or Shimano for DCG reel. You will likely burn out the St. Croix reel on DCG.

Whats the difference between the SC 250 and SC 300? (St. Croix) I saw a SC250 for $149.00

Is one closer the the Daiwa Luna?

Originally Posted By: Croix
Originally Posted By: St_Croix_Banks

Whats the difference between the SC 250 and SC 300? (St. Croix) I saw a SC250 for $149.00

Is one closer the the Daiwa Luna?

Ball bearings and line capacity...The 300 is my favorite reel, but I wouldn't use it for DCG.

Jsondag & JRedig-

Just wondering what size Trinidads you guys run. I am looking to pick one up for my new 8'6". How was your learning curve when first got one?

Thanks

NDSUski

I run the TN12 - I have used a TN14 and a TN16. I would have gotten a 14 but I got such a hot deal on the 12 I had to get it. Been completely satisfied with it's performance though. I felt the 16 was a bit beefy for palming and even light cranking was causing the rod to lift due to the force of the reel. I have a pretty big paw but suffer from Tendonitis in my ring finger. The 12 is much more comfy and the retrieve speed on it causes the rod tension to be much more minimal than the 16. I believe there is not much difference between the 12 & 14 except capacity.

As for learning, it wasn't that difficult. The power handle is a bit longer than most so that felt a bit awkward. Other than that, just be aware of how you stack the line on when spooling up. Also, make sure you use a good line that keeps it's shape. A lot of us have been using the white Tuf-Line plus.