• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ruts in yard--what to do?

verg

I often park by my other single garage near alley. I park in the edge of my yard where grass doesn't grow well. Long story short..my neighbor uses his front end loader and cleared snow out of the way-pushed it up into a pile in middle of yard so I can park there. Well our last blizzard he did it again, but I guess he wasn't thinking cuz the ground wasn't frozen very far down and he left huge, deep ruts with those big tires through good part of my yard as he pushed the pile. What do I do?? My yard looks like the Oregon trail. I used my pickup to roll across the edges to ty to flatten/even it out and it helped some but it looks terrible and when everything dries it will be terribly bumpy. Is there a way to level the yard without starting over or spending a ton? Do I have to haul in new dirt??

thanks for advice

The dirt you had didn't go anywhere. Wait a bit until things dry out and use a rake or shovel to loosen it up and put it back where you want it. You may have to just loosen up the ground that was compacted. Some seeding will probably be required.

Use a pitch fork or silage fork to stick in the ground parallel with the ruts and pry up the compacted soil. Like Tom said, the dirt didn't go anywhere, it just packed down.

Loosen up both sides of the ruts and that should take care of most of it. After that, you may need some dirt to fill in the depressions, or you can try to feather the edges with a shovel.

You will need some black dirt and level it off. The ruts will disapear on thier own but without help will take 4-5 years. No use getting shook off your lawn mower for that long. I make these type of ruts all the time by my grain bins and just fill them in with dirt.