• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fuel Delivery Problem? Carb Problem?

EW6

I have a 1987 60 hp Mariner that is being troublesome.

I don't know much about motors but it seems like I have a fuel delivery problem to the carburater. For example...

The first problem is that it can be very hard to get it to fire for the first time of a trip. Often times it finally fires after I disconnect the fuel line at what I believe is the fuel filter under the hood and let the fuel drain out, then reconnect it and for some reason it will often times then fire.

Secondly when starting during the trip it can be hard to get it to fire, lots of pumping the bulb and starting before it fires. Then even after I let it high idle for up to minutes when I go to put it into gear it dies.

Once it is in gear and running no problems. Yet when I bring it back out of gear after driving for a while it can die then as well.

I am wondering if I have a carburater problem that either needs a cleaning or a rebuild or something? Or if maybe it is as simple as adjusting the idle speed However, not sure if that will solve my initial problem of getting it to fire when the engine is cold. Any ideas on what I should do? Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

I guess the first thing I'd try with it would be to re adjust everything from the idle mixture to the timing and sychronizing, new plugs, check for leaks, check the primer bulb and that kind of stuff. However it may just be time for the carbs to be rebuilt.

I've pretty much checked over all the fuel lines, bulb, spark plugs etc. I have not checked the compression. I don't own a compression tester so I think I may be leaning to just bring it in and having someone with actual knowledge look it over. I sure hope the motor isn't shot.