• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Invisible Fence with GSP's?

cabinfever

Hey Everyone,

We are moving into another house this weekend, that has huge yard. Do any of you use Invisible Fence to contain your GSP(s). How well does it work for this particular breed?

BTW - My 9 month just jumped a 4 foot fence yesterday. Any tips on preventing this in the future?

Thanks!
-Cabinfever

I used one of these when my GSP was a pup. He learned real fast that he could go thru fast enough that it would be a quick shock but then was afraid to come back threw fot the shock again. Also a big problem down the road was that that system had a warning beep in the collar before he got shocked. Then for hunting a beeper collar is worthless because he associates it with getting shocked.

It was also real hard to do retrieving training because he would think twice about going close to the fence, so I had to make sure my throws were away from it sometimes I would actually have to go get it myself(defeating my purpose) and rethrow.

------------------
I'd rather be skunked than follow the crowd!

Brian Rogers

JR's Tackle
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait

I found out that the invisible fence is more about the training than the beeping/shocking.We put those little white flags around our yard and every body in the family took turns training.Just bring the pup out to the line of flags and scold NO NO NO and chase back to the house.Repeat over and over again.Then gradually start taking out the white flags one at a time.pretty soon your dog won't even want to near that NO NO No area.Our dogs don't even wear the collars anymore.Like I said though it's more about the training and discipline than the the collar.Good Luck !!

First off, I wish they wouldn't call them a fence. That gives people the impression that they are something that you can just plug in it's there. It is a training system and it will only work as good as the training you put into it. Just like any thing else with your dog. Electronics are not a cure all...just a tool. I have a lab and a springer and have had no problems...again....don't skip the ground work. Before you even turn the switch on your dog should know the boundries....the collar will just remind him when you are not there or when there is a distarction.

lt