• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trapping minnows and leeches???

pike doctor

What method do you guys use for trapping your own minnows and leeches?

I had about 50 lbs of beef go bad on me when the freezer went out in the garage so I refroze it and have been using it for leech bait, but I think it is still to cold (the water). I took a really bloody roast and threw it in some coffee cans and plastic jugs and I put a bunch of holes in them and threw them in a creek. I have yet to get a leech. What do you guys do? Where do you put them? I was thinking of switching to cat litter pails once it warms up and throw a whole roast in some really muddy water with a bunch of holes punched in the pail.

For the minnows I have one of those traps that you can get from bass pro/cabelas or wherever. I threw some dog food in as bait and I put it in an area that has some current, and I put the trap just on the side of the moving water. I have gotten some razorbacks, a few mudminnows a baby bullhead and a crappie minnow. Any suggestions to improve my catch?

Also, do any of you ever use those mudminnows for fishing? They are extremly lively!

Nightcrawlers are easy. After a good rain there are thousands of monster on the cement at the farm by the cows.

Leech trapping is way early yet. They will not come out until water reaches around 55 degrees. Mudminnow have worked for pike, If you have a current area you really don't need bait. I worked for a minnow dealer, never used any bait for minnows. Location is the key. what size is your trap? the bigger the better. You could place along the shoreline. Have a small net or mesh going from shore to your trap.

As far as minnows go, if you're not getting them where you are, try a different spot, maybe a deeper hole in that creek or a pond near by. A pond as shallow as 7 to 10 feet deep can hold fatheads. You'd think they'd freeze out each winter but those little buggers can survive. Dog food should be all you need, has always worked good for me.

i trap my own leeches every yr.as soon as the ice comes off the ponds i start putting leech traps out.i use tin fold it 3 times and use paper clips to hold the ends shut.tie string to 1 end and good to go.best bait for leeches is beef liver.around here lots of ponds = lots of realy nice leeches.

While you might get some luck trying to catch leeches in a stream, you are better off looking for still water. You'll be wasting time trying in a body of water that has a lot of fish in it - as they eat the leeches. You're best bet is looking for a pond or slough, probably off the beaten path.

I found my best leech pond ever after walking across 100 yards of floating bog. There was tons of rice straw, and lots of good places to hang up my traps. If your trap gets covered by mud, the scent can't get out. Beef liver is the best bait, but some guys do use kidneys as well. Leeches can be a bit picky - so if your meat is spoiled, they probably won't go for it.

Up where I go Deer hunting they use to take all their skunk carcess from traping the year before, put them in a burlap bag with a rope on the end, and throw it in the small swamp behind their farm. Worked great! wink

Do you think hamburger will work? I have about 20 pounds that went bad (i think, i dont want to eat it). How fresh should the bait be? And should I assume that 24 hrs is plenty of time for the trap to fill?

Any thoughts on using a 5 gallon pail with a lid on it and putting the meat in there?

What size hole should I punch in my bait cans?

Will they swim out after they have been in there?

How do you tell the diff btwn a bloodsucker and a leech?

The hole size I used to use on my coffee cans was about a 16 penny nail or a little smaller. I would also always pull my cans in the early morning before it got too light outside. You'd be surprised at just how small a hole leeches can crawl in or out of a trap.

i checked my minnow trap today and i had around 30 chubs no minnows. the chubs ran from 3 inches up to 7 inches. the minnows can't be far behind all we need is a little warm rain

Checked my minnow trap today and had about 15 razorbacks, one crappy minnow, two GIANT frogs, a small bullhead, and a couple of mud minnows.

I can't wait to spear carp in a couple weeks. 30 In an hour is pretty easy and I can do it out of a lawnchair.

I sure wish I knew where to get some shinners and suckers. We haven't milked on my uncle's farm for almost 13 years. He said I could use the 1000 gallon bulk tank to store minnows. It constantly stays about 55 degrees in there. I would like to go into next winter with my 24 dozen of each.