• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hummingbird or Lowrance

bassNspear

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, back on topic. I am strongly considering switching to the birds, but I don't know if I can justify the cost. I think I would be looking at +$3,000. That's a ton of money for fishing locators! I would sell my x-15 and x-37c which would help with the cost a little, but it would still be steep... I think I am gonna have to ride in someones boat that had side imaging in it before I pull the trigger... smile

Yeah, back on topic. I am strongly considering switching to the birds, but I don't know if I can justify the cost. I think I would be looking at +$3,000. That's a ton of money for fishing locators! I would sell my x-15 and x-37c which would help with the cost a little, but it would still be steep... I think I am gonna have to ride in someones boat that had side imaging in it before I pull the trigger... smile
I think I might know a guy. lol.

Have you guys ever rode in a "Legend"? My friends dad just bought one looks like one heck of a boat, Im gonna have to pester him for a couple trips this summer
Kind of funny you ask. Even the boat world is small. A few guys are saying that a Champion is the best rough water boat so heres where it gets kind of weird. Years ago a couple of the designers of Champion went off and made there own line of bassboats, those were Cobra by Viper boats. Very similar hull and alot of attention to fit and finish. In 2003 went out of buisness, Since then some of there molds were bought by a "new" boat company. You guessed it.........LEGEND.

Just let me know when you want to take a ride and see the si. You will truely never go back.

Did i read that right, In the earlier post someone said Lowrance is coming out with there own SI??

Yes. Lowrance announced a couple months ago that they would be releasing details about their SI at the ICAST show in July. They say it will be available in 2009. Lowrance has a 2-step rebate program right now where you can buy an HDS unit and something else (one of the something elses is the side-scan) and then you get the $100 rebate.

Rebate details are HERE if anyone wants to see them.

I'll be testing out the software updates on my bow 788 tomorrow. I hear the view of the lure when jigging is a big improvement. If you have a HB check the software number versus their HSOforum.

Got my 997 yesterday!, but need to get a Ram and make a bracket to hang the SI ducer off the jackplate.

I use the lowrance 332c, and like it a lot. Last summer when I was up in MN. I went to Thorn Bros and had a nice lecture from one of there people on the Hummingbird SI. I came to the conclusion, I ain't smart enough to use one.They do look good in the stores though

Double D, yep. I already have the interlink between my 797 and 788. I am going to keep the 797 in-dash at the console for down viewing, then use the 997 for SI and GPS. The interlink is a no-brainer if you run two birds that have GPS.

I have the high accuracy receiver on order, too. It is supposed to be a meter accuracy! Neither the 50 satellite receiver nor the high accuracy receiver works with the 797.

Again, everyone should check their software version. Update them and turn the TVG (Time Variable Gain) off when vertical jigging. Huge difference in seeing my forage minnow yesterday.

I can get a great deal on pretty much any bird I want or can afford. I'm thinking about a 597 or 587 but I would love a 700 or 900 series SI just don't know if I can afford it.

What kind of interference do you get if you are running both console units at the same time? Like let’s say you have the SI unit going and the other is running sonar. I was thinking you would get a lot of interference running two transducers so close to each other off the transom.

Also when you guys are running two birds linked do you have to have both units on at the same time or will still share waypoints if one of the units is off.

I'll let you know if I get interference. I am waiting on a bracket for the big SI ducer and a ram mount for the unit.

You don't need the bow and console both on to use shared waypoints. Also, the interlink only allows two units to share waypoints. I won't be able to use 3. My 797 will stay no matter if it gets used because it fills in the hole in the dash. There are many times when I want to view the GPS, down-viewing, and SI at the same time so I hope it works out.

Ok, might as well muddy up the water with my two cents. I have a L112 on the bow and HB 997 & L27 on the console. I am sold on SI, and it did save alot I mean ALOT of time prefishing new lakes. Having said that, I have gone through 2 997 units, and one GPS receiver in the past year. Cabelas stood by the warranty and replaced everything on the spot. I have had some software problems with the Lowrance but the CORRECT update solved them. Having the most current update doesnt mean it is the correct update for your unit. As a side note, if you know of a Stren Series or higher event or walleye tournament, you can go there and get alot of things fixed by Lowrance, Minnkota, Yamaha, and Evinrude. If you need something for your E Tech get there early, as they always have the longest line. But they did replace two lower units for me for free (when I ran Evinrude) and some other repairs.. On a boat note, my favorite all around boat was my Champion, but it is hard to beat a Ranger for resale and quick sale (my personal experience). I have ridden in a Legend and didnt notice a similarity in the ride. It is easier to say I like most rides except Triton. The Z520 is pretty fast for a Ranger but takes more driving skill to handle it, but it will run with anything comparable top end. Just my opinion.

I've been looking at the 917 and 788 birds and the 520 and LCX-28 from lowrance. I don't have the money for SI so I've ruled out that factor. So in comparing Humminbird and Lowrance soley on the factor of sonar quality, what do you guys prefer?

Also, have any of you guys had issues with internal GPS units? I'll be mounting the unit on a ram mount so i can turn it while I'm on the front deck. Thanks for any responses!!

Has anyone tried the NVB from Hummingbgird. Where you dont have to have a chip at all, and all the information is built into the unit. I have looked at these here at work, and they look awesome. talking with a good friend of mine, say they are awesome that you dont have to always change chips if you fish in alot of different areas.l