• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how many crankbaits do you have?

mrpike1973

Still hanging around 325 or so. I'll need to make some decisions as I walked past a few clearance bins since last fall and have picked up another 15-20 baits thaty I'll need to find space for. I've decided no more crank boxes for me.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only got about 10. although I just started buying them last year. Im a sucker for that discount bin at Fleet farm though. there is always a couple of last years baits in there at a discount.

Spring count puts me at just over 400.I use the thin CDS storage boxes to keep them in separate compartments,I hate jiggling five crankbaits until one falls away so needless to say ive got a pretty good tower of boxes built up.Jigs are bad to,but should just be tallied in pounds instead of numbers crazy

I have around 50 or so. Sometimes I don't even know why I bought some of them, heck I probably have a dozen or so still in the boxes they came in. Guess I thought I needed a certain size or color and just haven't got the chance to use it yet. I figured that they were on sale so it was easier to justify buying them

Talking about insurance, I have a photo of all the gear I have for the insurance company. One does not realize how much gear and how many dollars one has wrapped up in this sport.

I don't believe one could ever remember everything if something happenned.

Exactly. I took a rough guesstimate of how much money I have spent on the pile of crankbaits that don't even hit the water anymore. That was just a bunch of like new baits, notwithstanding the other stuff. There was some serious coin spent on that stuff. I like Harvey's idea.

I think I have around 45 right now. Not too bad considering a year ago at this time I think I had 3. I usually only buy gear if it's on sale, makes it a lot easier for me to justify that way. I'll be adding a lot more as the money comes because I fish crankbaits more than anything else.

How do you guys store them all?

If there's something better than Special Mate boxes, I'm all ears. I've tried the plano boxes, narrow and wide, and other custom hanging boxes. Still like the S M's best.

Originally Posted By: Iambjm
How do you guys store them all?

If there's something better than Special Mate boxes, I'm all ears. I've tried the plano boxes, narrow and wide, and other custom hanging boxes. Still like the S M's best.

I haven't tried the SM, but I do use a B&B crankbait box that works very well. No tangles with each crank having it's own compartment. Floats too, but haven't tested that claim. Maybe if I emptied it first! The one I have holds 96 but they have different models to suit your addiction. I put Reef Runners and other larger cranks that box while the smaller, shallow running cranks go into Plano's.

B & B's are nice. I've got one (4x6 double-side) that holds a ton of baits. But, finding / seeing exactly what pattern / length you'll looking for is more difficult with the B&B's than the Special Mates, IMO. SM's have very easy access and no zippers, which I'm not found of either.

i have well over 400 cranks, shad raps, tail dancers, deep tail dancers, you name it i got it. and i catch alot of my walleyes shore fishing below dams and casting rapalas.. they see alot of use!!!!!! grin the walleyes love um! they smack them with a vengence when they hit!!

For all around, if you only get one, I'd go with the big one. Really depends on how many cranks you have and what size & style. If you have predominately shad style baits, the smaller one is great. Keep the longer sticks in flat boxes. Ideally, get one of each. Yes, the smaller baits will ride fine in the larger SM's. Have fun.

At last count I was over 160, I would venture to guess somewhere around 185 right now?

I may do a full overhaul of the tackle box tomorrow and I'll count'em up!

if you want to get rid of any i would be interested in non-natural shallow running sticks

Crankbaits upwards near the 300 to 400 not counting the new ones purchased this winter. At least a 100 plus Shad Raps. All kept in plastic boxes by size and separated by color. You can never have enough.

I have well over 500 sticks/cranks and most are in Special Mate Boxes. Best box out there in my opinion. Get the tall ones not the short ones` even if you are using small cranks. Its nice to have 1 that you can get all sizes in for when you dont want to carry all 4 or 5 you have with you. wink

One tip is to take a foam noodle that kids use in the water and cut it the width of the Special Mate and lay it in between the front trays and the edge of the box and give it a little push down so it holds the trays in place when your banging in waves. Everything stays put very nicely that way.

I take a marker and put what I have in the box on the top. Reefrunners, Bombers, Brads, Shadraps/Flickershads etc. etc.

I looked at the BB boxes real hard but they were way too heavy and I like the tray system in the Special Mtes way better. They are lighter as well.

Oh and get different colored boxes fpr different type lures.

My collection stands at around 350 or so - Heddon, Rapala, Storm, Excalibur, Mann's, Norman, Smithwick, Strike King, Luhr Jensen, Arbogast, Rebel, Berkeley, Cordell, Lucky Craft, Bomber, Lewis, Bandit, Spro, Bagley, Fred Young, etc.

Getting ready to have about 50 less after the garage sale! For one thing, replaced nearly all my rattle traps with red eye shads so they have to go, also decided that anything that I did not actually throw last year was going.

Too easy to get paralysis by analysis when you have so many to choose from.