• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Inside or outside dog? What do you have?

311Hemi

Just curious if you guys have your dogs: Labs, GSP's, Golden's (whichever dog you prefer), living inside with you our outside? If outside, what do you do for the winter monthes?

[This message has been edited by 311Hemi (edited 07-07-2004).]

I was able to get my Lab on one condition, he didn't stay in the house. So outside it is for him. He has a 2-room insulated house that I put a heater pad on the floor in the winter with a little bit of straw so he can build a nest. This keeps him cozy to single temps. When the temps get below zero he goes in his porter in the garage with an insulated cover for it. Temps below that and the porter comes in the entry way and he sucks up the heat from the nearby furnace vent. His coat doubles in thickness come winter since he's outside but that's a good thing around here. That's my dogs story. Have a good one. Ed

We are two with two dogs and two cats. The cats came with the wife but I have them trained now. They are inside though. Both dogs are inside/ outside dogs. Chessie and Vizsla. Just cannot bring myself to lock them outside when I am not there. I got a dog stolen before when I was home even so not unless I have them locked in with a roof... They love to climb when a rabbit is in the yard.

Thanks for the replies! I am in the process of buying a home and weighing my options, and this is something that came to mind. Definitely good to get some ideas on how people do thing different!

GSPMan....that sounds like a good idea..especially with having the possiblity of a heated garage and a fenced yard!!

Keep em' coming!

Our lab started out with the plans of being an outside dog. We picked her up in November and she spent the first 5 months in our basement out of the cold, sleeping in a crate at night. Last November before we picked her up my Dad and I built an 10x12 cedar deck kennel with a hole into our garage that she can run in and out and has a house inside of it. That was the plan, but she got so used to being an inside dog and we got so used to having her around that she in now inside when ever we are. She is in her outside kennel during the day when we are working. She has the run of the basement with a gate on top so she just hangs on top as close to us as she can get. She has made a "sniffing" run around our main level a couple of times, but we are trying to keep the dog hair to the basement.

[This message has been edited by Bushwacker (edited 07-19-2004).]

My 6 year old lab has a 6 by 12 out side kennel with privacy slats on 3 sides, sunscreen on the roof, and a swinging door into his insulated box inside the garage. After his daily walk he is in the house. Sleeps on the bed, couch, living room floor, etc. He rides in the truck box in a porter, kennel blanket when it is cold and in the cab when it is below zero. He has never complained that my checks are too small, garbage has not been taken out, I've had too much too drink! Life is good with a lab!

I have 2 GSP's that are in/out dogs. During the day when we are at work they are in the kennel run. I have a pet door in the garage service door and a dog house in the garage so they can go in and out as they please. The dog house is butted up against the service door so they can only get in the dog house and can't access the rest of the garage. It is on skids and insulated on all sides. I call it the Dog-Mahal because it's the most over engineered dog house ever. When we get home after work the dogs go inside.

Our lab is both. During the day when we are not around, she had a kennel on a wood platform with a dog house. I put some rafters over the kennel, and covered them with vinyl boat lift cover material for shade.

At night, or in bad weather she comes in and has the entry/laundry room to herself. If we are not busy inside, she can have the run of the house on occasion.

Springer spaniel, inside all the time. For me it's easier taking care of an inside dog. I feel you develop a stronger bond when she's with you 100% of the time your home. Heck, I even work on training inside, come,stay, etc. For what it's worth, my dog is 90% pet and 10% hunter.

Both my labs are outside dogs, tried keeping my first lab 20 years ago in the house but my wife couldn't handle all the dog hair and shedding. My current two labs have seperate kennels with insulated dog houses inside my new shed with the heated floor. When we're gone, they're kenneled, but when we get home, the first thing that we do is turn them out. In fact, my seven month old pup starts barking when we're getting the mail, she knows that shes getting out shortly. Then after supper I usually throw dummies or take them to the pond or play pigeon. They're spoiled but the older one is also a pheasant hunting demon and the new hire is progressing nicely.

I am not sure my lab is really a dog anymore. She is more part of the family then a pet. She loves being outside but she would rather be were ever we are.

Even though I am not sure she is a dog any longer she is the best pheasant hunting companion I know of.

My lab is inside/outside, then inside and outside again and again. I actually took out a window in my split entry and put a dog door in with a kennel run that is connected up to the house. I then built a ramp in his bedroom that goes up to his door so he has easy access to it. When I am home I open up the outside kennel run door and he can run all over the property, otherwise he his confined to just his bedroom and the kennel run. When everything is open, the invisible containment fence takes over and he can come in and out whenever he wants.

"hooks"

My wife and I got our dog 6 years ago at the animal shelter. He is about 70 pounds and an inside dog--We wouldn't have it any other way--He loves taking his naps on our bed with the window open sucking the breeze and loves to be covered up with comforters. when he wants to come inside he knocks with his paw and if we don't get there right away he knocks a little louder--He hates the snow and cold so I have to snow blow a path so he can do his job in the the winter. He is our best friend and is treated better than some kids i know.

MIsterMOM: Dont feel bad I have a 5 yr old GSP that stays in the house also. She also sleeps in the bed with me and my wife. Its funny sometimes she (the Dog) looks at me like she expects me to sleep on the floor. I guess I was a sucker to as I let her snuggle up to me as a pup and she's been laying on the bed ever since.

Great replies....thanks for all the info. Definitely helps!!!

Now...if I could just find a decent house so I could get a pup....this type of hunting is getting old quick!!! Lost 2 already that I was interested in...

I is kind of like fishing opener this year on the big V...lots of searchin but not many fish!!! LOL