• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coney Island Hot Dog Sauce

I dug this out cuz we are making a batch this weekend, and thought I would post it here . Not quite as good as the stuff at some small Coney Dog Stands, but the best home recipe I have come across so far.

2 # Hamburger

2 Cups Tomato Juice

3 Teas Salt

1 Med Onion diced

1 Teas Minced Garlic

2 Whole Cloves put in a cheese cloth bag and remove after cooking.

1 Heaping Tablespoon Cumin

3 Heaping Tablespoons Chili Powder

Brown Hamburger and then mix in the rest of the ingredients and simmer for at least 2 hours.

I'm with dark cloud, gotta throw in some pepper.

Coney Island dogs are not the same as coney dogs. Coney dogs are an Ohio/Michigan phenomenon - basically beanless chili on hotdogs. Coney Island dogs are either red hots or a spicey white hot dogs not topped with chili.

About an hour south of where I live, in Scranton PA they call em weiners. Lots of places around there sell them along with weiner sauce and special short buns to match the short dog or weiner. Basically a bean-less chili type sauce. Go great with some chopped onions and shredded cheese. grin

Gotta remember this is from up here in Minnesota. I am sure there are some real differences even tho the name is the same.

We do pour on the diced raw onions to top it off, cheese is not so usual. And it is similar to chili without beans, but different none the less.

I can see adding the red pepper to give it some heat if that is what you are used to, we are probably used to it being a bit more tame.

I may have to single out some of the batch and through some crushed red pepper in to kick it up a bit and see how it turns out.

Similar but diff, I like that...

They are usually our friday evening snack at camp. A big fish fry with beans and homrfrys followed a few hours later with spicy dogs. Washed down with a few beverages. And tums for desert!