• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog transporter boxs for rear of truck bed.

Benny

I see a few people each year with thier vari kennel straped in the back, but I don't know if I like that.
Any one have an aluminum box that is short enough to go under a fabric tunnoe cover?

Are those Vari-kennels safe for the dog at 70 mph??I found the covers for them as well, but still think a regular steel,wood or aluminum box is better.

Let me know what you use.

Benny

I made a two dog box, made of wood. I wanted something that the dogs could stay in overnight when its a little colder out. I insulated it with 3/4" foam on all sides and bottom and then drilled out 1 inch holes between the compartments so that the dogs can share heat. I put hay in there and even when its 10 below it never gets below 50 in the box. Its a little cubersum but I can load and unload it myself.

Benny,

Are you seriously thinking about putting a dog under the cover? I think you would have a dead dog very shortly in the heat. Maybe I am wrong. I like the plastic portables for a few reasons. Durable, light, easy to clean up the puke or other nasty things left behind in the hot sun.

good luck

I have a plastic porter kennel for my dog. The kennel gets strapped in tight in the bed of my truck. No problem at interstate speeds. The cab of your truck breaks most of the wind coming over the top. In the winter I put on an insulated cover made for his size kennel and he's good to single digit temps. I just zip the cover flaps shut, with the exception of a little breather hole toward the bottom, and he'll have that thing so full of warmth by morning that there is moisture on the flaps when you unzip them. These plastic ones just can't be beat for lightweight and portability, they just don't look as nice as the aluminium boxes though.

I use the Veri-kennels in the back of my truck, The truck I use to have had some slots in the bed liner for 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 and by luck they were just at the right spot for holding in the kennels I put 1 on top and 1 on the btm.
Now I use a ratchet strap across the center of the kennels hooked to the front corners of the bed.
I think the cover is a bad Idea also, Most are black which suck in the heat and the newer type are so tight not enough air will get to the dogs.
Ever thought of a cheap topper?

All I use is the plastic kennels as well! I just duct tape the holes shut on the sides and strap a piece of cardboard across the front! Seems to work just fine for me. I was going to check on those kennel covers though!

Rainman

OH I didn't mean it to sound like I would use the cover on hot days,just when it is raining out or at night when we are stoped for the night, and it is cool out side.

After pricing some of those aluminum dog boxes I think the veri- kennel will do nicely with the cover made to fit the kennel.
I asked the trainer about them and was told they use the aluminum ones because they are responsible for the dog if stollen or worst yet in a crash.
Other wise he said the plastic kennels can take a pretty hard hit before the dog would be hurt.
Air lines use them all the time, and have reports of dogs being the only survivor in a crash.

I like the idea of a wood one as well , set up to have storage on top for the water and food bowls.

Benny

I will measure the distance under the cover rail to box bed tomorrow.

I have a large size Vari-kennel now, just need the cover for it.Will get the model number off it tomorrow as well.

Benny